Slow, then nothing

diamante

I pulled out of my storage a Fostex R8 and 450 mixer I haven't used in over 20 years. The Play at first worked, but slow. Now nothing. I have the repair manual but it is confusing as to how to get to the pulley belt (which I suspect is the problem). I have the front cover off. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I don't want to throw away a unit which at that time cost me over $4000. Ouch! I also have about 20 tapes I need to convert to CD...

Thanks

Sorry, no answers yet, but some questions. :)

1. With the front off, and no tape on the reels, when you press play, do the reel tables spin (in opposite directions)?
You'll have to raise either of the left or right hand tape guides so the LED doesn't say "error".

2. Is the clinch wheel rising to meet the spinning capstan?

3. When you raise one of the tape guides, does the little white plastic capstan wheel spin up correctly? (when "error" is showing the capstan wheel stops spinning).

4. Do FF and Rew work OK?

It's most likely the capstan clinch wheel (actually I'm not sure that's what it's actually called but its the rubbery one directly to the right of the tape heads) that's dried up. It can be rejuvinated to an extent if that's the problem. I'll look up what's safest to use for that a bit later on.
But it could also be the drive belt or drive belt wheel on the take up reel.

I got the front plastic case off, but I can't seem to get the back plastic case off. I unscrewed the screws on the side, but can't get to the underneath where the belt is. Anyone know how to remove the plastic back of the R8? That's where the belts or belt are that I need to look at...

Thanks

Back