Slow Motion Distorted Playback

jlizerbram

I've been using a Focusrite Sapphire for 17 months now, and all was fantastic up until recently. Playback is Slow..Motion...Distorted...Playback, but sounds that are monitored from my input instruments still sound fine. When I use the Sapphire to playback audio, regardless of the program (it could be audio tracks from Cakewalk, Sound Forge, Windows Media Player, anything) it comes out in this slow motion distortion. I have not changed anything in my computer configuration, besides keeping the computer updated with MS Patches.

The Focusrite Sapphire is using a Dynex dual-port firewire 1394 PCMCIA card into my laptop which runs XP SP2, Pentium M 1.6 GHz, 1GB RAM.

This might sound weird, but I live in San Diego, and our house narrowly escaped the fires. But we did have lots of smoke and ash, which probably entered into some of my equipment...tried blowing it out. :confused:

Any ideas?

Do you have a mobo temperature display? Maybe the ash is blocking some of the air intake and your cpu is overheating and being throttled back

what samplerate is the saffire set to? Do you have system sounds turned off? (you should)

My goodness - I think I've found the culprit here. When updating to the latest ASIO drivers, Focusrite includes an ASIOControlPanel.exe program that allows you to set buffer sizes for not only the ASIO driver but also the 1394 interface. Attached is a screenshot of this handy program. I just lowered mine from the defaults, and seems to be working smoothly right away - I'll have to monitor it, but I think this was the fix.

By the way, my sample rate is set to 16 bit / 44.1KHz.

Thanks for your replies, guys. :D

Attachments

• asio buffer.JPG
    asio buffer.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 48
Back