slice and dice

dave in toledo

kdgospel
i am trying to do this with little success, gaps or parts dont line up well, or little kinks in the spliceing, could you explain how you do it? Thank you for any help you might offer

I use n-track in conjunction with Goldwave (waveditor). Goldwave is really easy to edit with. Also zoom helps out a lot on this because you can really see the beats and such. I may have been a little misleading though. I have spliced in applause where it is needed on a live project and I have cut out unwanted noises and such and pieced the track back together with no noticeble side effects. I am working with gospel music which is less noise intensive than other genres of music so it is not as hard to piece things back together because there are larger gaps when you zoom in.
There is one way I've did this most often. Open a wav file with Goldwave and find exactly what you want. If you only want part of it copy and paste it in a new wave file. You can then add it as another track in n-track and by holding down ctrl you can move it to the exact place you need it. Zoom helps a lot on this too.

If I have not been clear enough, let me know and I will try to explain further.
Another thing, what exactly are you trying to do and I maybe can help. Keep in mind I just learned this a couple of weeks ago.

Gospel,
Creating a new WAV with just the part you want is ingenious. But there's an easier way. Just clone the track and slide the new track around wherever you want it. No need to create a new WAV as N will play the same WAV as many times and in as many places as you like.

Dave,
Depending on what type of WAV you're trying to splice, you can get very good results with a couple different methods using N. First, like Gospel said, zoom WAY in (up arrow) to see where the waveform his zero (best place to splice). You can click-n-drag to select areas you want to cut and then press Ctrl-X. N will remove the selected area from the timeline (the original WAV isn't effected, but N won't play that part. Then you can drag the remaining parts around to fill in the gap.

You can also clone the track, fade out one track just prior to the mistake (or whatever you're trying to eliminate) while you fade up the duplicate track. By sliding the duplicate track around (Cntl-click-n-drag), you can line up the duplicate to take over at the same place the original track fades out.

Hope this helps some.

tj

thanks

i am going to give this a try this morning. I have a couple of spots with errors on the track, i am trying to delete the bad note, or cord, and past , or replace with an acceptable chord or note from a defferent section of the song. Its been very difficult, little jumps or incorrect allignment on the pasted section.

i see where silincing that part and pasting the good section onto another track is the way, rather then trying to past it into the original track.

Thanks again so much

update

thanks again for all the help this is working much better, im going to searce in the manual to see how to fade in and out now , that should solve the problem

Thanks, Gospel. But i've just used N longer than you have. It's reall pretty easy to use, and the shortcuts are numerous.

Dave,
Have you worked with volume evolutions yet? They give you complete control over the volume of each track.

There are a bunch of evolutions possible:
- Volume for each track
- Volume for each group
- Volume for the Master channel
- Volume for each AUX send
- Volume for eash AUX return
- Volume for the Master Channel (great for song fade outs)
- Pans for each track and each group

Very handy once you get them figured out

tj

Back