Sleeping with No Harmony

fucanay

This is a track I did a few months back. I thought I'd share it with you guys while I'm finishing my home studio and not making any music. All comments (good or bad) are welcomed.

Gear and people used:

Logic Pro 6.
Bitshift Phatmatik Pro
DetroyFX BufferOverride
MXL V57M on vocals, acoustic guitar and pots and pans.
Presonus TubePre as a DI for bass guitar.
Michael Weekes (aka EndMusik) for beats.
Sister inlaw beatbox.
My son on giggles.
Spaceballs sample.

fucanay

Love the Spaceballs sample.

Very catchy rhythm on this song. I like the different percussion sounds you used (sounds like a glass with ice shaking in it.. heh). I don't think I'm qualified to offer any comments on the mix since I'm just a beginner myself and this is much different than anything I've ever done. But I do like the song.

yeah the percussion is defately cool. The vocals are pretty far back though, could be brought out a bit. The bass was mixed well. Pretty neat song.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the good responses. The percussion sounds are actual pots and pans (and maybe a beer bottle) being played with spoons. I was feeling really creative that day and went to the kitchen and boom. It was there.

As for the vocals. Yeah, I know. I bury them most of the time. I'm not super comfortable with my voice so I tend to do that without realizing it. I'll be getting a friend of mine to go over my mixes in the future to help resolve this, I hope.

The main beats are cut up chunks of a beat that a good friend made for me. I think he used some of the Native Instruments products to make it.

The acoustic guitar is gated heavily. I think it gave it a good sound, yet I wouldn't do this on everything. It's gated more than any guitar track should ever be.

Thanks again.

fucanay

Great Tune

This song IS the reason I love to follow home recording posts.
This could never be a "hit," but it is 10x as enjoyable as anything I heard on the radio this month!

You da MAN!

Wow guys. Thanks a bunch. I love this song. One of the only ones I've done where I actually wrote the lyrics. I have never really wanted the fame that goes along with being a successful musician, but I love when people like my songs. You guys made my day today.

Thanks

fucanay

Back