Slate Digital - 'Fresh Air'

mjbphotos

Slate offers this 'Exciter' free (you need either an iLok, or set up a free iLok cloud account). I'm impressed with what this does to my overall sound, but noticed that when I put it on a self-mastered track, I get some peaks in the red now, so have to reduce any volume boost on the track ( I have a master limiter turned down to barely make a change before the exciter.)
Any tips on how/when to use an exciter like this? Better to use it on my mix's master channel, then master (separately) after?

Great plugins but: Have you had any issues with Slate stuff scheduling or attempting authorizations/verifications/communication with the Slate server (i.e., not via iLok and independent of it)? I got unauthorized communication/connection notifications from Norton and not just when instantiating the plugin.

Paj
8^?

You can't put anything after the master limiter, that will almost always push the level into the red. Any exciter will add level.

I like that 'Fresh Air' plug. Gotta be gentile with it though. I have only used it on individual tracks that need a bit of luster. Acoustic guitar and drum overheads mostly.

I would definitely place it before your mastering limiter tho.

Thanks about the tip to put it before the ML

Great plugins but: Have you had any issues with Slate stuff scheduling or attempting authorizations/verifications/communication with the Slate server (i.e., not via iLok and independent of it)? I got unauthorized communication/connection notifications from Norton and not just when instantiating the plugin.

Paj
8^?
NO, no such issues. Turn off your Norton anti-virus?

m:
It's the Norton360 that's notifying me that the plugins are trying to connect online. Sure---I can set Norton to allow the Slate plugin to have access but the real question is why is the (Fresh Air) plugin seeking it, especially when it hasn't been instantiated/called up. It's doing this directly and not through iLok. My Slate Drums don't appear do this. I think that I will contact Slate Digital directly and ask them about it.

Paj
8^)

m:
It's the Norton360 that's notifying me that the plugins are trying to connect online. Sure---I can set Norton to allow the Slate plugin to have access but the real question is why is the (Fresh Air) plugin seeking it, especially when it hasn't been instantiated/called up. It's doing this directly and not through iLok. My Slate Drums don't appear do this. I think that I will contact Slate Digital directly and ask them about it.

Paj
8^)

There's another Slate program in there that is looking for the cloud iLok unless you have an iLok dongle (you have to install it first), whether you installed Fresh Air or not.

Back