Slammin' Compression

sbcgroup2

Is anyone out there experienced with a bunch of higher end compressors that can recommend a unit that can provide me with that in-your-face slam, while still retaining great clarity and no compression distortion artifacts? I'd prefer something solid state as tube gear is a little too laid back for me.

I keep hearing a guy recommending the dbx 160 compressor, but I don't really like their 166xl on anything but drums. On vocals and instruments it was giving me distortion at extreme points and sounds way too narrow and sterile (VCA problem, maybe??). Is the 160 that much better?

My Art Pro VLA is better w/o the distortion but it is too laid back for what I want.

Anyways, I was planning on spending more money on something higher end if the performance would blow these away and/or yield me the results I was looking for.

Perhaps I'm just looking for something that is really supposed to be done with a mastering processor instead during final mixdown or something that could be done with a plug-in instead after tracking....

Thanks!

Re:

The Drawmer (has BIG switch) and Manley (I'm not too into the tube warmth deal) both sparked my interest. However, can these sounds be achieved at half the price? Will either one of these give me incredible slam and much more density?

Also, both of these use the "Fairchild" type of old style compression...shouldn't I be looking at something that offers a feed-forward design?

I'm always willing to contemplate spending the money for a few pieces of top notch gear if it's worth it....

How about something like the Daking FETII?

Thanks again!

The Distressor would probably give you the sound you want.

I've been really impressed with the new compressor plugins in Reaper. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

It's a free DAW program. So far their Major Tom compressor emulates the DBX160 very well and their ReaComp can be adjusted to sound like almost anything.

You may want to look into an Alan Smart C2, or even an API compressor. After that I would give serious consideration to the Crane Song (a little more spendy, but not much) or one of the manleys. You really aren't going to find the same thing for half the price or else no one would ever buy the others. Given your needs that you describe, I would not reccomend the Distressor or the DBX 160. Also, keep in mind that there is a drastic difference between the current DBX 160's (a, x etc...) and the SL or the older VU and 165 models.

sbcgroup2 said:
I keep hearing a guy recommending the dbx 160 compressor, but I don't really like their 166xl on anything but drums. On vocals and instruments it was giving me distortion at extreme points and sounds way too narrow and sterile (VCA problem, maybe??). Is the 160 that much better?

not for what yer trying to do. the 160 is a very aggressive sounding compressor. i think it's more to do with the hard knee than the vca but either way - you'll hear it.

Mike

I have an API Lunchbox with a pair of the 512c modules; I could add the API 525's if needbe. Or I could pickup an API 2500 (has that "thrust" mode). However, I dunno how these would compare to a Manley or Song. Plus I'd rather fill the lunchbox with just pre's anyways....

xstatic said:
You may want to look into an Alan Smart C2, or even an API compressor. After that I would give serious consideration to the Crane Song (a little more spendy, but not much) or one of the manleys. You really aren't going to find the same thing for half the price or else no one would ever buy the others. Given your needs that you describe, I would not reccomend the Distressor or the DBX 160. Also, keep in mind that there is a drastic difference between the current DBX 160's (a, x etc...) and the SL or the older VU and 165 models.

So you'd recommend the Song or Manley? Do you/have you use them?

Do I own them? Not yet. Have I used them? On many occasions. I do not stock 2 buss compressors yet because I have not fully implemented to my desire my analog mix situation. Of the Manley's, Cranesong, and the API, I am leaning towards the API for my first true 2 buss compressor. To me the Manley gives the "thickest" sound of the three, the Cranesong the most Neutral, and the API squarely inbetween, but also dsoes the most aggressive of the three. The aggression really comes from the thrust settings. That type of compression really suits my mixing style the best so it will be my first purchase of the three. The Alan Smart C2 though is also a tried and true 2 buss compressor and offers a good variety of sounds through its settings. It would probably actually be my second choice. The Alan Smart stuff is very similar to the standard SSL buss compressors. I like the Manleys as well, but have never really been two enamorated with the Slam on main mix busses, but love it on the occasional drum buss, guitar buss, vocal buss etc.... depending on the sound am I after compared to the mix I already have. That being said, I generally like the sound of any of these over plugins, but plugin master limiters have come a long ways and seem to be better than a lot of hardware at not changing your mixes sound, which is also very useful. In the end my opinion does come from actually using these, but I do not have the pleasure of having used them as much as people that own them:(

For aggressive compression where you can retain some top end:

As suggested above, the Cranesong STC-8. VERY clean!!! Sort of lacks the "aggressive" part though.

1176!!! This is THE "aggressive" compressor.

Distressor. Don't overdo it though! Can sound like ass very easily.

My choice for aggressive compression is the 1176.

Have you tried the API compressor Ford Van? I love 1176's as well, but I do not liek them nearly as much on busses as I do on channels, unless we are talking something like a vocal buss. I find the 1176 is hard to get much out of on thick program material without sounding pumped a bit or over compressed. On more dynamic material however I love it. The API on the otherhand handles thick stuff really well. I suspect it has to do with its built in response curve compared to the 1176. Personally, I am not a big fan of using Distressors on busses for the same reason I do not like the 1176 there (for the most part).

Nope, I have never used an API compressor.

I agree, the 1176 is not really a good buss compressor at all.

I have done some mastering via a pair of Distressors with the british mod. Sounded damn good. It is just SO easy to overdo the Distressor. It really isn't a good compressor for those that don't have a LOT of mixing experience.

Ok...so it sounds like I should be checking out more API gear...1176 or the 2500 (for bus).

Here's my situation: I am tracking thru my API pres ---->compressors--->MOTU1296 interface--->PC.

How would I run the 2500 off a bus? Should I even bother? Could you do it thru a side chain input? I'd rather not assign it thru the computer as there will probably be a latency issue and yet another A/D conversion.

I kind of like using dynamics processors to track and then doing everything else in the computer because it's less messy and more cost effective:) I may run the mix thru a compressor during mixdown at some point...but not now.

Thanks (sorry about all the amateur questions...lol)

Last edited:
Re:

Ford Van said:
There is no right answer.

Come on...give me a little more info than that!:)

I think I really like the 2500 idea because:

1. It's much cheaper
2. Bussing would be much more flexible so I don't have to constantly do the mic tango...:)

Unless I could find a pair of Universal Audio units for around the same price (maybe willing to spend to $3k) that I could bus that would rival that. The 1176's would run me more than that:))

Last edited:
I am not sure why now after rereading your original post, but for some reason I was under the impressionthat you were looking for a compressor to sort of add that glue to your mixes, basically a 2 buss compressor that is designed to run on your master outputs. Maybe it is because you mentioned a mastering processor. Anyhow, my reccomendation for the API and NOT for the 1176 or the Distressor is based on that assumption, which may turn out to be a false assumption. If so, my apologies. If however you are looking for a master compressor, I would highly suggest still looking Cranesong, API, or Alan Smart. If you are looking for one whos primary purpose is tracking, then the Drawmer and Manley that Massive mentioned, the Distressor, and the 1176 are all killer options. The Alan Smart, API and Cranesong can still be used in the tracking phase with great success, but they are designed a little differently and will not excell in the same ways the others may on individual tracks. I love having Distressors around. Personally I would not trade my Distressor for a 1176, but that is my personal preference. The Manley Vari-mu is pretty sweet too though. Very thick and forward, as well as the Slam.

Back