Skype music teaching help

Elgar

Hi guys,

Just found this site and wanted some recording advice please. I am a classical piano teacher with a number of students wanting Skype lessons. Not ideal, but I want to use it as a kind of backup for existing students. I need some advice for what equipment I would need to improve the quality of sound, external mikes, USB interface etc. I am using a Toshiba laptop.

Some people have suggested a Samson go mike, a Shure DM57, and a FocusRite 2i2 interface. Some mikes have built in USB interface and some don't, and I am very confused. I have also been told that some mikes like the Snowball ice are better for acoustic piano sound. I am very confused and don't want to spend a fortune on expensive equipment. But at the same time, I want something that is good and that works.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks very much

Elgar

Hi. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your choice of name was an homage and not a piss take.

Can I call you Edddie?
So, teaching piano over Skype? I am minded by the master classes on BBC2 by the likes of Barenboim where he sat at a piano, talked and played examples. I would think that technically difficult to do over Skype, especially with any pretence of decent piano sound quality.

If however you just want to get some good quality clips recorded then talk about them and post them as links that should be easier.

The first task is to record piano and many here will give you far better instruction than I but I would say a decent AI is the first step and my choice for a budget unit would be the Steinberg UR22. IMHO you will need two mics, big sound source, and, again for a cash strapped piano teacher(!) look at Small Diaphragm Capacitors (aka condeners). Brands such as Samson and Behringer get pretty good reccies here. .

My son has posted some typed commentary on various pieces of music but that was not Skype. You see various Youtube broadcasts of people holding forth about guitars, amps, pedals and such, Often the quality is poor to dire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgf1-R2fzTo Not very careful with his levels I am afraid!
Dave.

Do you have an ebook in the works? Dounds like you have some experience in the area, so thig might be a good approach to helping people, allowing them to follow your guide at their own pace. Obviously you charge a small fee for the ebook, but i'm sure it would be popular in this niche.

Do you have an ebook in the works? Dounds like you have some experience in the area, so thig might be a good approach to helping people, allowing them to follow your guide at their own pace. Obviously you charge a small fee for the ebook, but i'm sure it would be popular in this niche.

If you mean me? No! Not even sure what an "ebook" is!

That video was done by my son. He is the musician in the family, I just solder and find money.

He now lives in France, Le'Havre and has amassed a bit of dosh over the winter painting an hotel. Just bought himself a €2000 classical acoustic guitar. Spring/summer is spent gardening for loot and teaching and playing in the bars and restaurants of a small coastal village. Seems happy enough.

Should be home in a month or so for a music festival of some sort here.

Dave.

Back