Skipping audio, CD's and ITunes through my system

alanfc2

hi,
I have a problem with audio skipping,

when I put a CD or play something from ITunes in my pc to play through my soundcard and into my monitors.
I never have problems in Sonar. When I try the CD's, Sonar is closed.

I have Win XP Home
Edirol UA-5 USB soundcard

its almost like there's some setting I've goofed on but I 've gone through everything in my Windows regarding playback and CD audio, etc... can't get it right.

Anything I'm missing?
Thanks

it sounds like an issue with the usb sound card driver to me. what have you tried so far? is there anything recommended in the manual or online support that you have'nt tried yet?

i've had my delta 1010-audition set up for a couple years. never a problem. a big storm came into town a few days ago and i was out of power for about three days. it came back on friday and i popped in a burned dvd with some wav's i'm supposed to do some over dubs on. my computer had a very hard time digesting the dvd and i was only able to copy a few of the files before the my comupter no long read the dvd. now, all my audio is screwed up, nothing plays right. any program i use the audio skips, stutters about every other second, something is totally wrong. i reinstalled the m-audio drivers today and nothing has changed. defragmented all the hard drives, still useless. increased DMA buffer size as well. is something just totally fried? did this dvd fuck up my computer? i'm even fearing that water somehow go into the interface, but that would be almost impossible. my recording set up is quite simple and very reliable and i've never had this happen before. suggestions? thanks a lot.

k

Sounds like your DVD drive is on the fritz, maybe a power surge fried it before the electric went out.

Does it do it when you play music off of the hard drive? if so it could be that your comp took a hit to the motherboard during that storm.

not sure what kinda of drives i have. i'll check. i've played audio from the hard drive and both my cd-r and dvd. it seems to skip more from the hard drive sources, but the cds still skip. if i play a cd in windows media it seems alright, but as soon as i minimize the window it starts again. its a very steady interuption once it starts, a cadence. i keep all my computer sound stuff running through a furman power conditioner, so i'd like to think that served as some sort of protection during the storm. still rooting around in this damn thing.

also just checked audio from the old factory sound card (avalanch?) and the delta 1010, both are "skipping" so i guess its not the sound card(s). in addition, I unplugged the internal dvd drive, thinking that had something to do with it, but no change. no fuses were blown in my apt. could something have gotten fucked up because of the storm, even if my shit was plugged into the furman thingy?
k

Is it a DELL?

If it is a DELL with a Samsung hard drive, there are many known problems with that combination. Check out the DELL forum for details on the fix....

I would say, make shure the DMA box is checked in the hardware profile for the drive, if that doesent work reformat the drive, if that doesent work the drive could be faulty.

Back