Ska/Punk/2-tone

BlackHawk2029

Hey all,
I used to frequent here and haven't been around for a long while. Finally back to making music, so I'll be around a lot more. Just figured I'd pop in and post up what I've been up to. I'm playing drums for Rubber City Hooch, a ska/punk band out of Akron, Ohio. We did some live recording during practice a couple nights ago. Check it out and feel free to give any opinions.

Rubber City Hooch's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And like us on Facebook if you dig it!

Rubber City Hooch | Facebook

RCH: That's a very long intro for something so far away from the real song...
Shouty but not melodic at all in the vocal department.
It's a little hard to get too into commentary with the guitar being so far off on 1 side.
Song seems OK but could use a little more emelody.
No real ska/punk in this one.
I can hear the roots of ska in Robot Girl. The bass seems to balance the gtr a little better on this one.
Is it possible to remix the recordings or is it as recorded?

Definitely possible, and in progress actually. I'm having a lot of trouble with the guitar, as it was recorded direct and i don't have much in the way of plugins to process it properly. Just the amp simulator built into cubase, really.

I know this is a really bad idea in many sectors BUT copy the guitar track & add the tiniest bit of delay at 100% and make a minor EQ change here or there & then pan the two guitars L & R. Thta'll balance the stereo image bit. I spent years trying to mix 1 gtr & 1 bass either side of drums, (I was intent on a stereo reproduction of a trad trio set up), & was not able to make it sound quite right. Before I got my act together to realize that recorded music isn't live performance & started doing 2 takes of gtr I did the copy & delay thing - the itsybitsy delay at 100% & some EQ means the guitars don't quite match, (if they did & they were of equal vol it'd end up sounding like one loud guitar in the middle), and will create an image of a gtr on either side. An amp sim should be all you need. Ska gtr is pretty straight forward soild sharp chops et al.
I look forward to hearing what you do with this. Please post an update.

Hey thanks for the advice man, and for your interest as well. I'll be sure to keep you posted. To give you better insight on the process we used, This was all recorded live in our practice space. Our singer through his normal vocal mic, a pair of MXL 603's in a recorderman setup over the drumkit, an Audix d6 just inside the kick drum, and guitar and bass running direct in.

So i've got some updated mixes posted up in the same location. I went ahead and doubled the guitar and delayed one track a tiny bit and panned it over to the right.

Good band. The songs seem pretty fun. Great drumming. I like this style of ska-pop-punk stuff. The singer sucks though. Fire him.

I'm down.... I like it. I like the production.

I especially love the guitar sound. Alot.

I am currently working on resurrecting some of my old ska punk bands stuff.... Not near as poppy as this but ...

I approve of this.

reminded me of The Beat....youve got the sound there

good stuff...really liked the guitar sound/tone

Back