Six Six Sick - Don't bother if easily offended.

g0dmoney

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=14799

Please comment on the mix and the artistic side of things if you like. I don't have anything to really listen to it on other than my monitors and I think my ears are burned out since i wrote, recorded, and mixed the whole thing in one sitting. As a matter of fact I think my ears are gonna bleed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It worked when I copy and paste.

You got some good stuff going on there.

Is that your music, or did you produce it?

I got some ideas that would improve the song if your interested...

give me some time to listen to it a few more times and organize my thoughts.

Primary ideas regarding arrangement, and orchestrational variances.

I heard a few oppertunities for some sick break downs, and a good hook that could have been repeated a few times, and a few other things.

Not bad. Probably not the most interesting songwriting I've ever heard, but it's well-mixed.

I like the sudden rhythm change three-quarters (or so) of the way through.

I think the instruments could stand to have more low-end emphasis (bass guitar, bass drum, etc.) It wasn't as bassy as death metal usually is. (I suppose that increases clarity and makes it easier to listen to, though...)

The Black Circl is probably right that a few well-place breakdowns would really help give this song some edge. As it is, it's a little unexciting.

yeah i think the arrangement needs work. i have a tendency to get lazy when i do everything all at once. thanks for the comments guys!

you could try this...

1. Kill the vox on the intro riff

2. On the next part it sounds like your playing octive "chords" - play the first octave chord without movement (just that first chord) for 4 measures (you'll hear it.) Kill the "four on the floor," and change the drums to a few well placed rolls (or other percussive type of playing (a sort of break down.)) Kill the vox here too.

3. Put a lead line on the 4th measure of that part with the octave chord

4. Enter the verse

5. Double the length of the 1st verse, add tone down the drums on the 1st half of it

6. 2nd half of the verse - drums and bass should be full force

7. Kill the pre chorus

8. After the verse drop the drums to 1 hit on the first strong beat of the next part with a kick and crash, or a kick and snare - have guitars 3 and 4 at - 60 db, strike the chord and fade them in during this time (should be 2 bars if I counted right.) This should be a bad ass hook for your chorus

9. Make the second half of the bridge the chorus (the melodic part)

10. Put an interlude after the 1st chorus (this would be the riff that is now playing the chorus (no vox here.)) Only play it for 2 cycles (it sounds like one has upperward movement and one has down ward movement and end it there.)

11. Go into another break down on the drums and bass, kill distortion on the guitar and add an ambient effect - enter the vox immediately

12. After the vox play 1/2 of the verse, on the 4th bar of a line, do a lead line on the drums and a distorted guitar and the bass (possbily borrowed from your pre chorus)

13. Finish up the 2nd verse going full force (mabey change up the drum sounds a bit, and add some palm mutes to the guitar, or something creative.) On the last bar play a hard drum roll to lead into the chorus.

14. Kill the originial pre chorus

15. Go into the chorus

16. on the last note (or where ever it fits in to time out right) of the chorus - instead of playing the melodic part, play the triples and chords part from the bridge, and then enter the bridge on the first strong beat.

17. After the triples on the bridge Enter Pre Chorus for 1 x

18. Start verse 3 (you might only be able to start the 2nd half of the riff) so that the verse is actually played 1.5 times

19. Start Chorus 3 as a break down - tone the drums down to accents, let the bass drone the chords, sing ambiently - if at all.

20. After playing the full chorus like that once, on the 4th bar of the last time introduce a lead line

21. repeat the chorus FULL FORCE

22. after the chorus Play the intro riff x4

23. ON 3 and 4 build the drums up bigger on the snare and symbols

24. Last 4 beats PALM MUTE the first 3 and accent with the drums

25. let beat 4 ring for about 1 - 2 bars (mabey put a nice drum roll here)

26. End by playing the beat again and accenting on the drums, then slide out of the note when your finshed - so that the note rings for about 1/2 - 1 bar

27. Your vox on the verse kick ass.

1. DON'T Kill the vox on the intro riff
2. On the next part add a few drum rolls
4. Enter the verse - but do it gently.
5. add tone down the drums bottom end all the way through
6. bass needs some definition all through
7. Kill
8. After the verse change the drums with some breaks
9. Nice bridge
10. Put an qualude back in the bottle
11. Go ambient (see Eno & Airports)
15. Go the chorus
16. on the last note finish
19. let the bass carry the chords & sing
21. repeat the chorus FULL FORCE
23. snare and cymbals
24. accent with the drums
25. let beat ring
26. End by playing
27. Your vox are good.
More bottom end, some bass defintion & chuck in some drum breaks (get a drummer?) BUT you've done really well with this. I'd hate to hear it become a cut & paste mishap.

good ideas guys ill see what i can do with that. an idea that could help me though is if you could define which parts you consider pre chorus, chorus, verse, etc.

This sounds really cool.
Apart from the sound issues I don't find anything wrong with it. Arrangement is pretty good, got a nice driving rythm to it. Great heavy riffs :D Good voice. Well done!
Cheers
Joe

What's so offensive about this?

Sounds okay to me. Big mega-produced commercial sound. The song is pretty boring, but the mix is pretty good. Definitely could use more bass/low end.

Mr Black Circl,
Perhaps, if you gave time positions, the OP might have a better chance of interpreting your instructions.
One person's chorus is another one's reprise after all.
gOdmoney,
The fundamental issue, the one that relates to this piece and will colour your other recordings, is the bottom end. You need to address this. If YOU hear lots of bottom it may be your monitoring set up, the room or the compression to MP3 & you'll need to consider that. If, on the other hand you hear what we hear you are removing the testicular component of a rock song & need to look at WHy & how.
Anything structural is an over complication or steps too far.
Get the bottom end right.

Mr Black Circl,
Perhaps, if you gave time positions, the OP might have a better chance of interpreting your instructions.
One person's chorus is another one's reprise after all.
gOdmoney,
The fundamental issue, the one that relates to this piece and will colour your other recordings, is the bottom end. You need to address this. If YOU hear lots of bottom it may be your monitoring set up, the room or the compression to MP3 & you'll need to consider that. If, on the other hand you hear what we hear you are removing the testicular component of a rock song & need to look at WHy & how.
Anything structural is an over complication or steps too far.
Get the bottom end right.

well the problem with the bottom end is that my bass guitar really sucks and i run it direct into tascam us-122, so it sounds like swamp ass.. lol. i'll play around with eq and levels and see what i can get. i actually think i might be able to make the arrangement sound better by messing with vocals on certain parts to make it less repetitive, specifically the dig em up dig em up part. and rayc is right, times would help me know what you're talking about a little better circle.

Back