"Sitting" vocals in the mix

gospel

I hope to in the near future record with a live band, but right now just don't know that many musicians close by. I perform and record with pre-recorded soundtracks. I am recently finishing up a project. Just wodering if anyone had any advice on how I would best make my vocals "sit" in the mix. I have recorded a few songs and listened to them on different stereos to see what they need. I was pleasantly surprised at how they turned out, but the one thing that I noticed is that (I guess since they are pre-recorded soundtracks) my vocals seemed like they were "in front" of the music. The vocals were not really louder they just did not "sit" in the mix. Anyone have any advice on how to best do this?

There's more than one way to acheive "distance" with a track but first off we need to know what equipment you're using and what equipment you have available for recording and mixing.

Carlos

Here are a few things you should take into consideration.

1. Your vocals might not have large dynamic changes but might still need to be compressed to make it more focused. Boxing it with subtle compression (if needed) will bring it more focus and ability to sit better.

2. Volume. It has to sit right level wise or else it will be covered /stick out.

3. Wrong choice of reverb (room type...predelay time...) will make it stick out like a thorn or get losed in the mix. The abuse people do with reverb on vocals is in my opinion worse then most do by overcompressing (yet it seems the ovecompressers have a stronger lobby in the senate).

4. It might need a bit of EQ to get it to blend better.

I find the best way to get the vocals to sit in the mix is to sing them right in there where they belong. It gets frustrating trying to get the perfect feeling and intonation and tone but the vocal mixing battle can be nearly avoided by a great tracking performance.

Oh yeah and there's EQ and compression and preamps and stuff...

Sometimes mixing in a quiet doubled part will do the trick for me.;)

carlosguardia said:
There's more than one way to acheive "distance" with a track but first off we need to know what equipment you're using and what equipment you have available for recording and mixing.

Carlos

I am using a Fostex MR-8, w/ a Shure beta 58 mic. After recording I transfer via USB to my PC and do the mixing with n-track.
From my perspective, which is somewhat newbie in the recording realm, the problem is in the mixdown. I say this because some of my songs the vocals "sit" fine in the mix. I think one thing I'm gonna have to do is log everything I'm doing during mixdown (eq, effects, compression, etc.) so I will know why the vocals on some songs sit well and the others don't. For now I'm just trying to salvage this recording and make it as good as I can. Thanks for the input.

I second everything Shailat says, except for the overcompression of vocals... This is a thing that does not exist :D ... But who believes a stoopid punk rockker anyway :D

aXel

Seriously: some sound may need stronger compression than others. According to your nickname, you might not need too much... Perhaps try the 'enhancing compressor' instead - do a search on that topic...

aXel

Back