Singer songwriter type style accoustic

Andresound

Hey guys, first post and my first song I’ve ever written. only eq (high pass on the guitars) and none on vocal. Not the best performance. Be honest thanks. All critiques welcome

Attachments

• put the weight 7.mp3
    7.5 MB
Last edited:
I like the tone of the guitars, and your voice has a very nice quality to it. I feel the the overall sound is very reminiscent of 70's David Gates and Bread - to my ears, anyway.

There seems to be some conflict between the picking (performances) on the L & R guitars, so they don't mesh well in spots.

I like the tone of the guitars, and your voice has a very nice quality to it. I feel the the overall sound is very reminiscent of 70's David Gates and Bread - to my ears, anyway.

There seems to be some conflict between the picking (performances) on the L & R guitars, so they don't mesh well in spots.
Thank you. It was very difficult to play the 2 parts the same. I need to figure out how to align the few “problem” sections in Reaper. Maybe I should just re record another take of the guitar with a mid/side arrangement (to get a stereo effect), and delete the other 2 parts. The guitar is a vintage Yamaha “red label” SG300. Microphone was a vintage AKG C28a tube mic through a home built tube pre, ala ALTEC 1566. Vocal mic is an original RODE classic 1, with Tim Campbell capsule

Having listened to many voices over the years, your's is nothing to be concerned about at all. In fact, it's very commercial and suits the music. As it's so good - I'd see a singing teacher to get them to polish bits for you and then you'd not ever need to be embarassed. This is normal, and you are, in my book - a singer. I can sing (and do) that is NOT the same thing. The song is really nice too. The recording things people have mentioned can be improved as you improve your recording skills - but again, it's not bad to start with.

Thank you. Very self conscious of my vocal. Hate the sound of my own voice recorded.😏
John Lennon used to say the same thing....

I thought the song was really good. Yeah, there are places where it needs some polishing, What Spantini said is good. I would probably put a touch more reverb on the guitars to move them back in the mix, and would probably not split them hard R/L as much. They are very "up front", especially on headphones.

I think the second version is a big improvement. The guitars seem a little bass heavy still though, and the compression feels a little constricting. There’s a limiter or automation causing the song to waver in volume in parts. The vocal kind of drops out in places, like the ends of verses. Might be worth trying some automation on the vocal, to make sure the ends of lines and verses are at the same level as in other places. Really nice performance.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will keep at it. Regards the reverb on the guitar.., I did remove a lot of the original reverb but maybe too much? The guitar also has an 80hz high pass on them, maybe.., moving them further back in the mix will make them appear less bass heavy, or just up the filter to 90hz or more? Back thanks again for the kind comments. Glad I found this forum.
I’m actually a kind a rock/blues guy and will eventually get to recording some.

Last edited:
Try moving the HPF up to around 150Hz. Add a small cut around 600-650Hz, then a small boost around 6000-6200kHz.
will try that thank you. And on a lighter note..., this is the style of music I normally play. This is a short clip from our gig Sunday afternoon. Need to listen on headphones!!

Attachments

• Crusaders 30 May 2021.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 12
Back