Since I've shot my mouth off...

Discord

... here's the closest thing I've currently got to an original piece that I'd consider fit for human consumption:

Hello?! Is this f@#%in' thing on?!

Title: A Day At The Beach
Artist: The Dopes (my current nome de guerre)

Notes:

Drums are the main issue here. I'm well aware that there are a couple of fills in there that suck. Drums are DFHS performed on a Yamaha DD-55. Problems: ride cymbal sounds mechanical, hats are too loud. Anybody with specific input towards solving those problems = godsend.

Guitar and Bass: Both are recorded direct via a Korg Ampworks bass modelling directbox. While the guitar is less than realistic, I still feel the sound is a pretty nice fit for a garagerock kind of vibe. Commentary welcome.

Organ: Stock sound from NI Kompakt. Meh. I don't expect to do much beyond the strictly utilitarian with this one.

Influences: surprise me. = P

If anybody's got better ideas on what to do with this mix OR interesting aesthetical observations, by all means fire it up! Sounds fine on my system, what's up on yours?

Actually, sounds pretty good. I also use DFHS, and this doesn't sound bad. Hard to get away from the mechanical sound, unless you have a real drummer, but they sound better than a machine. Keep working on it. Sounding decent so far.
Ed

It's a fun little track! Nice job.

I'm not familiar with DFHS drums. Are they essentially drum samples that you 'performed' on a keyboard? As usual, it's the cymbals that sound the least real. I see what you mean about the drum fills. The one at :37 has got to go!

The bass and guitar sound fine for this. I'm thinking the organ could be turned down a little--it sounds like the guitar wants to be the 'main thing', and the organ should just add a little colour.

Keep at it!!!

Back