simulating crack/pop of a record player

keerus

just like the subject says. anyone know of any ways to simulate the sounds of a record player making the crack/pop noises of a dirty record? i don't have a record player available to me, but i want this effect for one of my songs. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.

justin

My recorder has a patch that simulates that. You might have one as well and if not you can probably get one.

Massive Master said:
If you're on a PC DAW, try Izotope Vinyl. It's a FREE DX plugin. Scratch, pop, click, hum, dirt, warp... Everything you love about old turntables.

I'll second that, great plugin. Great price. :D

travis

Cubase VST has a plugin called the "Grungelizer" which simulates phonograph sounds. It includes a scratch/pop sound, distortion, hum, and an EQ setup that produces the tin can sound of old recordings. It's a very specialized effect and it gets old very quickly. So I wouldn't put it on every song.

I've also tried micing an actual record using the end/begining of songs where there is no music. If you have a turntable with RCA out you could simplify the process by routing directly to your recorder.

anyone know how portishead did it? i think i read that they recorded drum tracks for some tunes straight to vinyl.

but how did they get the turntabled drums to sound so warm and fuzzy? dirty needles? or did they use the record to train special olympics frisbee players in a parking lot somewhere...

Don't mean to come off like an A-hole, but how ironic that this should be so sought after!

I've heard this effect EVERYWHERE lately is seems, I even recall seeing it on a guitar effects processor!

i'm not sure if this is going to be an effect that i will be using on the final mix, but in my head i had this really cool idea for an intro and it involved the use of this effect. i'm going to see how it sounds once my strep goes away and i can lay down some vox, but i just wanted the option of being able to use it.

justin

Tom Waits said something about recording the sound of bacon frying for good vinyl pops and crackles.

Aaaah, but has his mind changed in the last six years ?:D

If Keerus hasn't worked this one out yet, rustle some sweet wrappers from 9.87 metres away from a cheap headphone acting as a mic and compress at -23db threshold and a ratio of 55:1 with minimum attack and maximum release or alternatively, master final result to vinyl and play it daily for seven months to let nature take it's course......:p

Or, there are countless samples of vinyl crackles out there, surely one of them will be long enough and suitable for what you want!!!

Some resurrections have their uses, I suppose...

Or, there are countless samples of vinyl crackles out there, surely one of them will be long enough and suitable for what you want!!!
I guess this thread reopening might be good for someone who wants to know how, today. I doubt that would include the OP !

The Isotope vinyl plugin is pretty nice. It has some different settings that allow you to determine the type of click/pop that you get. It has a randomizer so that it sounds real and not just like a repeating loop.

Back