Simplest home voice recording?

isiton212

Hi everyone,

My 70-year old neighbour writes poetry and wants to record a CD.

Yep.

He recently went shopping and bought a stack of all the wrong gear, as a result he's had my mics and mixer at his place for months, filling up with dust. We spent a day getting it all to work, and now he keeps harrassing me to help him again, basically he has no interest in technology and refuses to remember how to work anything. He also thinks it should be someone else's job to listen to hours of his poetry and somehow compile the best bits to a CD. Grrr.

Anyway I'm sick of it and I just want to buy a cheap setup that even he can use, and leave it there on loan so I can get my good gear back.

I have virtually no recording experience though (live guy) so I could use some pointers from folks that know.

Am I on the right track with something like a Blue Snowball? Is there a particular software that you would recommend? It needs to be really, blindingly simple so that this guy can figure it out. Seriously, he has almost no idea how to work his computer, let alone manage files properly.

I'd also consider a standalone hardware option (eg portable recorder) if there's something simple enough. Did I mention simple? I'm talking mono, auto levels, foolproof file management. Simple simple simple. Any ideas?!

Thanks mjbphotos. That's a good option, but I'm a bit concerned that it may be a bit fiddly for an old bloke. It also seems to have the display screen on the opposite side to the main mic, which won't help matters.

I currently have a Shure SM99 (gooseneck condensor) mic going into a little Mackie mixer then straight into his sound card, then Soundforge (I think - it was a while ago). It's all too complicated for him. I want my mixer back, but I'm happy to leave the mic there if I can get a USB interface with phantom power (but then I may as well just get a USB mic).

I think the main challenge for him though is file management, and I reckon the best solution is going to be a simple computer interface so that he can record and then save, move, rename and delete files himself on his PC. He's going to have to learn this skill eventually, and he has the PC hooked up to a 50" plasma in his lounge, so that is probably the best interface he's going to get.

So could really use suggestions for the simplest Windows recording program, either standalone or as a package with a basic USB mic or interface?

'Simplest Windows recording program'. I'm at a loss. I'm sure there are basic ones, but standard DAWs all have a pretty steep learning curve (arm track, hit 'record', 'stop', unarm track, listen back, render to WAV, master rendered file ...). That's why I suggested the stand-alone recorder. Press 'record', talk into the built-in mics, press 'stop' when done, then hook it up via USB to the computer and move the file. Done.

If he already has the mics, removing the mixer and getting a USB interface removes much of the chain. Mic->Interface->Computer->Audio software

That would give a good source input, if the microphone needs phantom (Presonus for example) many of them have it, so that would not be an issue, no mixer needed, just set the level on the interface. You can try using Audacity, since it is not complex. You can add effects latter. Now, someone will need to help with burning to a CD. But after a few repeats, you might get there.

Now, this sounds simple to 99% of us, but for those who do not like technology (age is not always a factor) it could still be complex. You always have the option of a Tascam Protastudio, but I really don't think they are easier, just more convenient.

Back