Simple - She left me...dadgumit

Very pretty song!

Good writing and nice singing! Excellent vocal recording. You'll probably take a few stabs for the DI'd acoustic but I don't have issues with that - sounds sorta like a David Alan Coe guitar sound. The harp sounds nice but it might be too thick in the reverb department. BUT the way you played out the ending with the fading harp, the reverb serves as an introduction. Still you could back off a bit during the main part of the tune and then add the distance at the end - whatever - it's your tune, man and it's a nice one. I'd add a bass part but, you know, one person sitting in a room, playing and singing is where this whole business got started. Thanks for sharing - I like this tune!
~Milan

I'll be the first to pick on you for the direct sound acoustic. Mic that thing! :D

That's my only complaint (ok, a little too much verb on the harp).
The guitar playing sounds very nice. And you are an excellent singer. The song is great - the lyrics are straightforward but do not feel the least bit contrived. They flow very naturally. Harp playing fit perfectly (just could use a little less verb)

I made you sad - you made me sad. We're even now. Don't beat me up! ;)

Oh yeah. Good stuff here. My gripe (in addition to the DI'd acoustic - mic it!) is that I'd like the whole song about a foot closer to me. By that I mean, that it sounds a few feet a way, and I could do with a more intimate approach mix-wise.

But with a performance and tune like this, I can easily forgive mix gripes. Great tune, Dusty.

Chris

Dusty!!

I like the song..............very much.
I liked the harmonica except I didn't feel that it was the right key.
Now you'll tell me it's a chromatic right:D
If so, some of the notes didn't seem to fit the key of the song, maybe it's just me though.

As stated by others, you have a GOOD voice and your singing feels very real from an emotional level.

Your songwriting is superb Dusty, lets have some more.

Dan

Dusty!!

I like the song..............very much.
I liked the harmonica except I didn't feel that it was the right key.
Now you'll tell me it's a chromatic right:D
If so, some of the notes didn't seem to fit the key of the song, maybe it's just me though.

As stated by others, you have a GOOD voice and your singing feels very real from an emotional level.

Your songwriting is superb Dusty, lets have some more.

Dan

very nice song Dusty Jack,
A very nice vocal performance. I too would like to hear the guitar be a little closer. nice song!
Jason

This is one hell of a good song, class A from the heart, sincere writing and performing. I love the distant harp at the end, I agree with MC Gitarz, take some verb off the harp early on, and then you can really generate the distance in the harp outro.

I think that every time you lay the tracks for this tune it's going to get just a tiny bit better each time, and I encourage you to keep working on just laying the tracks over and over, just let this one out easy, your heart does all the work here.

I think maybe the tempo could be a tiny, tiny touch ... slower. As if you are in shock :D

I think you are a subtle cross between Willie and Coe ... the subtle part is supposed to be a funny :D .

Really, you have a vocal that 'works'.

And you have mixed the vocal ON TOP, and I APPRECIATE YOU !

For a relatively new poster to post a, (real), LEAD VOCAL is very refreshing.

Every nuance of your sincere, highly accented, americana soaked kawntree thickness is 'magic', when the vocal is mixed strongly out front.

If you would have buried your vocal I really would have thought it sucked, but the character of your lead vocal is untouchable when it is proudly and bravely presented out front.

I also agree with HevyD, but I really think it's a matter of note selection more than the key of the harp, (and I understand harp selection is critical there), but you might experiment with a few different harps ... No matter what, keep the harp simple like you have it.

You and Hevy should be chatting, I hope a collab gets to brewing between you two.

Now, there are some actual words that are very difficult to understand and I encourage to you study these places and concentrate on letting go a bit there, and let those words out a bit easier. Put your suit and tie on just for those words.

'All she said was ? has left home'

so as I'm really intensely listening to the lyrics now, as I listen over and over, (and remember we are not the normal listener here, most are going to have a lot of trouble with the places I have trouble with) ...

'to dodge the dog and the memory of what went wrong'
=
'the dodge the dog and the memory of what went wrong'

and the next place I have trouble is a critical spot ... it's in your secondary lyric hook ...

'to drive this hurt away would take a ?'

for the life of me I can't understand that word ...

'to drive this hurt away would take a hawk ?' :)

DO NOT CHANGE THE CHANNEL !!!

Stick around on this bbs please.

WELCOME !

By the way, if this is a true song, and you had a good woman, and screwed up and lost her ... welcome to the club :D

I've been developing some fiddle licks for this, some fills and a duet with the harp in the open section ... I'll send it your way one day soon, I"m just laying tracks to the MP3.

If you get anything new on this, please PM me, so I can get it from you.

I like this song.

Impressive to say the least...minus the DI guitar. Good song, kicks the ass of everything on modern country radio in my opinion.

Warren

DustyJack

There's not a lot that I could add to the advice that has been offered so far in the thread but, I try to anyway!

I like the verb on everything the way it stands right now. It adds to the solitary, lonely vibe of the song and that's not a terrible thing in my mind.

The song is a very good simple track as it sits but, I could hear a bass or piano helping to fill this out a bit.

I would also echo HevyD's thoughts on the key of the harp. Moving it up would add a nicer counter melody to the song.

Your vocal was sung well and you have a great voice!

Keep up the fine work and welcome to the clinic!

Cheers! :)

Hey again, Oh Mighty Council of the Clinic.

Gee Fellas, First off Thanks for the kind words. What an ego boost. I was smiling ear to ear, wanted to go wake the whole family up to let em know what ya'll thought.

When I wrote this song I had the "lonely guy, under the train bridge, by the river" in mind.

MC GITARZ "Still you could back off a bit during the main part of the tune and then add the distance at the end"

I see where you're taking me. I listened to it after your post, and yup, it's almost as if I got lazy and left it that way. note to self......don't be lazy. Thanks for the compliments

FPROD SOUTH "I'll be the first to pick on you for the direct sound acoustic. Mic that thing!"

Consider it mic'd the next time. Once again me being lazy. I'm still getting the feel for mic placement, compression, and eq. There's just so much to learn....but that's part of what makes this fun.

"I made you sad - you made me sad. We're even now. Don't beat me up! "

Consider this song post a direct response to your song post. We're Even. I got my eye on you though

GROUCH "My gripe (in addition to the DI'd acoustic - mic it!) is that I'd like the whole song about a foot closer to me"

can't you just scoot your chair up a foot...that would be easier for both of us. Kidding. You are one of my fav artists on this board...so for you to even comment on my work is an honor.

HEVYD47CYA "I liked the harmonica except I didn't feel that it was the right key"

These things have keys? DOH!!! I am in utter shock that you responded, said the poor boy to the Blues Master.

You were probably wanting an F-harp (?) for that bluesy feel. I was going for that whole melody type thinking....and....I'm not very good the other way around.

Thanks for responding...a complete honor

JASONBIRD Thanks for the props man

STUDIOVIOLS Wow...thanks for the detailed input. The words are "to drive this hurt a way would take a haul"

I'm gonna copy your reply to my track notes

As far as a collab with HevyD. It would be an honor, but that would be like me playing basketball w/ Michael Jordan. I'll work
on my technique and one day I might get a collab going.

Can't wait to hear what you do with the strings....(as the theme to jeopardy plays in the background)

By the way...your "Park" song is WILD/AWESOME had me on the edge of my seat

WARHEAD "kicks the ass of everything on modern country radio in my opinion."

Yeah, whatever happened to good country music...not that my songs are good, but the country music is lazy nowadays compared to in the past.

The Ghost of FM "I like the verb on everything the way it stands right now. It adds to the solitary, lonely vibe of the song and that's not a terrible thing in my mind."

Thanks for getting "IT". I hear what the counsil is saying and I agree with the concensus. I was definitely going for that cry in my borrowed bottle of backwash sound.

Thanks for the response
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the Tips and the kind words fellas....I'm walking away with a BIG SMILE on my face....heads a little bigger.

I WILL NOT BE LAZY AGAIN....I'll keep telling myself that.

DustyJack

Dusty.................

Check your PM's buddy:)
It's an extra feature of the bbs.
Learn it................ newbie:D

Hello Dusty.

Some real fine writing. I can imagine Crawdad covering this. I really like the sound on the harp, but with the verb on there it kind of sounds a bit out of place. Maybe the guitar just needs a tad of verb to blend in with the harp...not sure if that makes sense :confused: :) or the harp needs a tad less...it just needs a little bit of evening out, but this is a nitpik...

The DI didn't bother me too much, but I think if you miced it you would get a better sound, maybe a bit more natural which is what this song really needs.

Excellent vocal on there. Again some real fine writing!

:D

You know what, I take that back ... I really like the verb on the harmonica ... scratch what I said about it. Too much to drink, I guess ... :D

Back