Simple recording question

fkoliveira

Hi,

I'm using Sonar 2.0 XL with a SB Live! Platinum 5.1, and I use the mic input to record.

When I record digital audio, the metronome sound, as well as any other sound coming out of my pc speakers (i.e.: midi tracks, mp3, etc.) are recorded too.

How to set Sonar to record only the sound of my mic input?

Thanks a lot!

In the main task bar, click OPTIONS, then project and and make sure unselect the metronome so its quite during recording. One idea.

This problem comes up about once a week with the SB Live.

You need to go into your recording mixer and change the input setting from "What U Hear" to "Mic". The What U Hear setting will record any sound passing through your soundcard.

Double click on the speaker icon in your systray. Then select Options -> Protperties -> Recording -> OK. After you've done that, make sure that "microphone" is selected and that should clear up your problem.

(I presume you realize that recording throught the mic port of an SB Live is not going to give you the greatest of quality.)

Thanks for the help Shana, but the metronome was only an example. I did turn it off, but if I wanted to record a audio track while a midi drum track was playing for example, the drum sound would be recorded along with my guitar!

Yes, I know the quality won't be 100%. Notice that I'm not using mic input of the soundcard itself (on cpu back), but the mic2 aux input in the front panel that came with the soundcard (which is a little better). I can't afford for a better equip at this moment, and I'm really using for home recording. I do not intend to make a professional sound right now because I'm still learning, and I have a lot to learn (this forum has helped a lot!) so I'm satisfied with the quality so far (maybe I'll upgrade my equips later).

I'll give a shot on dachay's tip and I'll get back.
Thanks!

I have the same sound card as you, fkoliveira, and dachay's post is the answer to your problem. :)

Hey everyone
I was having the same problem and the above was the solution. I put my mixer on desktop 2 using the microsoft virtual desktop, It seems I can check my settings rather quickly by having both the record and play mixer open at the same time. so when I have what you here checked by accident, or any other change to make it seems to save time. I know your ques was answered, i just figured i would pass this on. it helped me keep on top of it.

Back