simple questions

mojovoodoo

ok,i got the extension cords so all the computer hardware is neatly put away in the closet,we treated the room with foam and carpeting,we borrowed an art tube/compressor/e.q. preamp.so,why can't i still get a decent vocal track?there is still humming,in the background,the vocals go too quiet,then too loud,therefore i compress,then it brings the hiss and the hum louder,so then i use the expander/limiter.but i mean,i have done vocal tracks before in a noisy apartment with less equipment and got better results,what gives? is ther something i am doing wrong here?
this is the session:protools le 5.2,mac g4,glyph firewire(very noisy),mbox,akg c 200b,art tube channel proffessional tube mic pre,compressor,&e.q.(i seriously doubt the "proffessional"title they gave it),and one female vocalist doing original dynamic rock po(when it gets quiet it gets super quiet)
perhaps i am being too vague,but i know i am missing something or using too much.please anyone?:confused:

The first things that comes to my mind when I hear you complain is simply a bad configuration of your compression.

When you hear too much hum when using the compression, you're probably compressing the low end too much. Try to play with your knobs :D and look if you're attack and release are set ok.

Unless I missed it in your run on sentence what kind of mic are you using? They are actually somewhat important in the whole signal chain ;)

What type of noise is it? If it is a hum or buzz it is most likely a ground loop, bad cable, noisy preamp or mic. The Art MP is not known for being a quiet preamp so if you are pairing it with a dynamic mic and really trying to push the level that is probably the issue. Turn down the gain on the pre and see if the noise goes away. If it does then the mic, cable or pre is the problem.

To avoid ground loops make sure all gear is plugged into the same outlet. If you are using unbalanced cables try to keep their distance as short as possible (for me that is about 5ft) and make sure they dont run along side any powered AC or speaker cables. Move your cables around and see if the noise changes.

To fix the noise you first need to isolate the source.

yeah, i am gonna try running the mic straight through the m box,i thought i might add more warmth by using a tube pre amp,but it is more hassle than it's worth.
to respond to the compression thing,unfortunately ther is only threshold and gain,and pretty much share the same knob,how do you say it's like staggered,the outside is the threshold and the inside is the gain,i am realizing this preamp compressor thing is just not any good,i am gonna play around with using nothing,just straight through the m box,and if it needs anything i will do it in the protools plugins ,post productionwise.
anyone got suggestions ona cheap cheeeeeeeap pre-amp?i mean i love tube warmth,but, i can't afford manley pre amps,and it sounds that the art mp's art not good enough,perhaps somewhere in between?:p

The Mbox has Focusrite pre's that are supposed to be pretty decent. Why do you feel you need external pre's? You probably wont find anything better for under $500. Maybe one of the Meeks if you want more color.

yeah,tex i did the akg straight through the focusright pre's and i got no hum or noise!!! the problem was i was trying to flavor the vocals through a sh*tty pre amp!!!now the signal is sooooooo much easier to work with!!!!! thanx soooooooo much for the kickass advice!!!!!!!! i owe you a beer!!!!!!!!!!!

It might not be anything wrong with the preamp itself.

Could be that the tubes just need to be changed. Just like with anything else (like my socks and underwear), they should be changed at least once a year.

Also, it could just be your cables.

Back