Simple Question

Creepy Crawlies

Hello. I have been reading through all the Vocal Booth threads, and I see there is a lot of advise being given out here. :)

So I have a simple question:

• Is "3 x 4" large enough for a Vocal Booth?

Upstairs we have three rooms on the back of the house. The one on the left is a Bedroom, in the middle there is a "3 x 4" (7.9 Feet Tall) room which then is followed by another bedroom.

I was just wondering if this small room would be suitable for a Vocal Booth. The walls are already constructed. I will also note that the two bedrooms either side of the small room are un-used.

The booth does not need to be 100% soundproof. However I would like to be able to Record Vocals, and get a very good quality Recording. I would rather know if it's not suitable, because I would not want to waste money on something that will turn out un-usable.

It's basically a left-wall, a back-wall, a right-wall, and the front is a door.

Any advise please? :)

Thanks.
Creepy Crawlies.

Last edited:
3' x 4' or 3" x 4"? ;) Shades of Stonehenge there . . .

Would it work? Yes, if you killed it dead with treatment, which will take away another 4" from each dimension. I wouldn't want to be in that room, but it would work.

But why not just record vocals in the control or live rooms :confused:

Basically this set up will be just for Vocal Recording. :)

See it is for Rap Vocals. I will get my Beats from the Producers, Write and Record the song in this set up. And then have it Mixed and Mastered by the Producer after.

It basically so I can go in the Booth, and just Record whenever I want without having to keep going to a studio to Record.

Hi RICK,
"3 x 4" doesn't always translate as 3" x 4". It could be in quotation marks, it may refer to 3' x 4' in that same way we often refer to a piece of 4 x 2 meaning 4" x 2". It could be that you smacked yourself across the noggin with such a one as this before issuing a multi barrelled offense of offensive material.
Hey, at least the fellow did some reading 1st.
Are you offended by his niavity, his choice of musical genre, his lack of chops in this forum or his temerity in asking, quite politely and with some acknowledgement of his lack of depth in the field, a simple question?
Look, the fellow has an unused upstairs dunny & he wanted to know if it'd work as a vocal booth - far sillier thoughts have been granted air in recent times.
Haven't you been grounded for similar tirades in the past?
Take a breath, take a look in the mirror and then take tomorrow off - you need it!
Thanks mshilarious for giving a reasonable and, as usual, accurate answer.
Creepy Crawlies,
mshilarious not only makes good sense he makes excellent microphones! There are a lot of good ideas on the forum about setting up to record vocals - most don't involve the levels of claustrophobia yours might precipitate. Do some more reading and check out the DJ / Hip-Hop / Rap / Beats section for genre specifics.
Please don't be put off any creative activity - most folk are helpful or, if they don't like what you're doing, ignore you.

Last edited:
Basically this set up will be just for Vocal Recording. :)

See it is for Rap Vocals. I will get my Beats from the Producers, Write and Record the song in this set up. And then have it Mixed and Mastered by the Producer after.

It basically so I can go in the Booth, and just Record whenever I want without having to keep going to a studio to Record.

I could understand needing a vocal booth for clients to impress (although I wouldn't be impressed by something that small), but if it's just you, just cut your vocal in your main room. Build yourself a portable absorber ("gobo"), using 2" x 2' x 4' rigid fiberglass insulation (find a local commercial insulation supplier, you will need one box which is six sheets). Double up the insulation to 4", and make a three-sided panel. Frame it off with 4" boards and wrap it with fabric. For vocals, you might want to frame it up to about 6' high; just leave the bottom 2' empty (not stuffed with insulation). I attached my panels together with hinges. Total cost, ~$100. This is like the "Reflexion" filter, but much larger, better, and cheaper!

Just leave that out in your room and record your vocal in there. If your producer is doing the mixing and mastering, that's about all you have to worry about. And it will be a lot more comfortable than stuffing yourself in a small unventilated closet.

Your only worry is noise sources in your room, like your PC. The panel will help some, but not enough if your PC is too noisy. Solution--put the PC in that closet!

I agree with Jon, I would put the PC in the closet and record in a larger room. There are a lot of measures you can take to make a larger room sound just fine without it being an "iso" room. Gobo's work well and you can even make a "portable" vocal booth.

Back