simple question here about an acoustic project

a27thletter

i'm just looking for opinions on this. i have an acoustic project that is only one guitar track and one vocal track and i'm not too sure what to do with everything as far as panning goes. i've tried a few different ways but havent decided which way sounds right/ it almost seems like if i pan the guitar anywhere off center the whole mix gets unbalanced. i'm not really used to doing this type of track, usually i have at least 4 instruments to fill up the space with. any help greatly appreciated.

Have you considered mono? (Seriously, why not?)

But since I have little doubt that idea will fly ;) , use reverb to fill the stage. Not so much that you're swimming in it, of course, just enough to thinken the overall mix and fill the holes a bit.

If you pan (for example) the guitar a bit left, say 35%, then pan some guitar reverb stronger right (maybe about 70%). You can then do the same thing with the vocals on the other sides if you wish. (Dry 35% R, verb 70% L) This in effect give you 4 tracks spaced between 70%L and 70%R that sounds warm and full.

G.

Yea... all the stuff I record acoustic guitar and vocal and leave at that really winds up being mono.

I add reverb to the overall sound, just enough to make it a little more full, but not so much that you can really tell unless there is a dramatic change in volume somewhere in the piece.

Of course, as I believe the other Glen said, you probably won't be content with that. But I've gotta tell ya - this sounds like it comes back to the polishing of the turds. If the performer and material were enough to hold your attention, you may very well not be scrambling for ways to make it sound "fuller". Passages with minimal playing and vocals should sound like they are placed there for a reason - not just because the vocalist's sound is thin and the guitar part is bland.

Guess this isn't the place for a rambling commentary, but too late! Of course, I suppose as engineer/producer/mumbledeefoo it isn't your job to tell the artist "The mix sucks cus you suck!"

I've had problems with this before myself, and close to home... my brother recorded some original material but decided to have his girlfriend (an egomaniacal crazy woman) sing it because she "sings like the angels on high". She was all over the place in terms of dynamics, placement around the microphone, etc. When we were done, I played it back and she thought it was awful, and immediately blamed me. I said nothing, knowing after the first five attempts to get her to cooperate with the mic positioning, etc., that this wouldn't solve any problems.

So, long story short, try some reverb and stereo panning, but I think that's all you are going to be able to do for this mix. If it sounds weak, you can't work miracles - and any blatant tricks to try and beefen it up are probably going to be glaringly obvious, unfortunately.

if you can..

you can try to double track the guitar and pan hard left and right or 75 75 or 50 50 .. or whatever you fancy.. sometimes this works wonders! sometimes it doesn't fit for the song.. it all depends.. but it wouldn't hurt to try.

The only thing I can recommend is some sort of stereo expander plugin - as I have never used one, they may stink. Just the one thought that popped into my head tho :)

another thing you might want to try is to copy the guitar track, paste it to a new track and add a little delay to one of them... try around 50ms and play around from there... this can spread the guitar a little bit on the stereo field. Good luck!

another thing you might want to try is to copy the guitar track, paste it to a new track and add a little delay to one of them... try around 50ms and play around from there... this can spread the guitar a little bit on the stereo field. Good luck!

You can also EQ the delayed track a little darker than the other... again, might not fit your track but I like to do that on slide dobro (the two times I've ever recorded slide dobro that is).

Back