Simple question about ProTools

homebrew

I am a novice user of ProTools. This question is so mundane it is embarassing - but I can't figure it out...

When I record MIDI tracks, there is always a "lag" before I can get back to the computer to stop recording. That inserts a bar or two of silence at the end of the track.

When I save off the track, the extra silence is saved too.

I am trying to create 8-bar loops and don't want that extra silence when I save off the MIDI tracks.

>> How do I remove them in ProTools? (v. 5.3.1)

Thanks to all!
homebrew

Use the "trim" tool to drag the right side of the region toward the left, to shorten it to the desired length.

Thanks.

I tried this with the play and edit both linked and unlinked.

I would move either or both the right-end blue arrow to the left (or the black 'paragraph' marker) -- and made sure the section I wanted was selected (all blackened).

I even then went to the EDIT -- TRIM -- To Selection and did that.

After, the markers are the correct endpoint, but when I put the cursor anywhere on the music and double-click, the selected region is the original larger area -- still including the silence at the end.

?????

When exporting, the MIDI file includes the silence still.

More help please?

Thanks !!!!

The blue arrows are in the timeline. I was talking about the REGION containing the MIDI data. You have to change the track from "notes" view to "regions" view in order to see the blocks that represent regions. Once you set the track to "regions" view, you can move a whole group of MIDI notes around as a unit. You can also use the trim tool to non-destructively shorten the region.

In the manual, it's in Chapter 13, "Editing Basics".

Back