Simple M-Audio Axiom 25 Question?

Ben Walter

I am considering buying an M-Audio Axiom 25 to replace my current MIDI keyboard - the primary reason: less real estate, though I also plan to enter the world of using it as a controller with my computer.

My question: Will it work WITHOUT being connected to my computer (using power adapter), just like my old (and full sized) Roland MIDI keyboard did to provide MIDI input for my Synth Module? I don't want to have to have the computer running to record tracks to my Roland VS 2000 and its hard to get a clear answere from the M-Audio website and Operating Manual.

Thanks for you help!

Ben

Yes, it will work as a stand alone keyboard not connected to a computer.

You'll need a MIDI cable and you're good to go.

A note: when you use a USB cable you don't need an ac adapter. When you don't (like just using MIDI) you need one.

However, you can use a MIDI cable and a USB cable, with the USB simply plugged into a computer and not doing anything beyond being plugged in, and the USB cable will act as an ac adapter.

In other words, you can use the USB connector as nothing more than an ac adapter.

p.s. don't look to M-Audio for much help, the technical term for how they operate is "fucked".

I use their stuff everyday, but M-Audio is just barely a real company.

Thanks Dinty... that is exactly what I wanted to know, and I just bought it on eBay so I'll get it up and running by the weekend, hopefully.

BTW, I've been using Roland stuff for years and all their literature seams like it is written in Japanese and translated to English by a Japanese person. The M-Audio stuff is much clearer!!

Thanks again.

Ben

Back