Similar to Autotune-Melodyne

tddrummer

A friend and I have been experimenting with Melodyne...I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this program(plugin) and had any tips/tricks for us as we are still figuring it out.

It is like autotune..and from what i can understand it shows you they key of your notes and how far they vary from tht key..correct? You can edit the pitch..etc.. and even control a pitch correction to a certain percentage..

We arent trying to sound like rappers..but just have a natural...on key sound

So overall i just wanted to see what everyone had to say about the software.

P.S. I not really looking to have a forum on whether pitch correction is right or wrong...the fact is that nowadays it is imposible to keep up with otjer artists without using it...

Thanks for any input ahead of time
:)

I've been using both Autotune and Melodyne for a number of years nows. Most of my clients request and insist on it. The real difference between them is Autotune can tune in real time. Both have a little artifact added to the sound if you are not careful but in the case of Autotune, that's exactly what they are counting on. Melodyne is a very good product and depending on which flavor you have, it's easy to use. Good luck on your endaevors,

I have used both. I find that overall melodyne is much more transparent than autotune. Meaning, you can push it a little harder before you start to get the artifacts. I have found that the interface is much more intuitive and I like the editing details you can achieve with it.

They have some great video tutorials you should check out.
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=videos

We arent trying to sound like rappers..but just have a natural...on key sound

Is actually singing on key not an option? Especially since you use the word "natural" to describe what you want to sound like?

P.S. I not really looking to have a forum on whether pitch correction is right or wrong...the fact is that nowadays it is imposible to keep up with other artists without using it...

I fear you might unwittingly spark a debate with that last sentence......

Thank you for all the replies..i take it that melodyne seems to be a fairly nice program, and i did not know that about autotune. Does anyone find it had to use or is it just a matter of getting used to?

I was just saying i want to fine tune audio...im saying i dont want it to sound fake..I do sing on key but this is easier than taking 50 takes for one song...i dont have time..i only get about 2 hours in the studio a week and i cant hit notes like mariah carey:)

Melodyne, and Cubase 5's audio editor can be used for other things as well.

For example, play some melody on a synth or maybe even guitar, then go into Melodyne, and tune all the pitches to be the same. In fact, if you have wide pitch variations on the original, even better for this. What you get is a note, that's shifting in tembre, due to formant shifts. Resample, reload into a sampler, and have fun!

Melodyne, and Cubase 5's audio editor can be used for other things as well.

For example, play some melody on a synth or maybe even guitar, then go into Melodyne, and tune all the pitches to be the same. In fact, if you have wide pitch variations on the original, even better for this. What you get is a note, that's shifting in tembre, due to formant shifts. Resample, reload into a sampler, and have fun!

I didnt know this, great advice please keep it coming..weve been using synths a lot...we will try this for sure!

Which version of melodyne are you using (editor, assistant, studio, etc) Each has something different they do best.

Back