Sigma acoustic guitar for studio?

msblaze

i'm looking fora nice budget guitar around 100.00 for my studio and am looking at used Sigma's on ebay, but am not sure which to buy? what would be a good mic? i will most likely be recording witha MXL 990 mic.

hmmmm, You're not going to get much of an acoustic for $100. Do you play acoustic? Do you want one to keep at the studio so a band can use it? I think any band/performer worth anything would already have their own acoustic(s) already. I know I would want to bring one of my own acoustics to record anywhere.

Now if you can up that budget to $400 (preferably $700) you can get a pretty decent acoustic that will be fairly versatile and not suck. Larrivee is (again IMNSHO) the best bang for the buck in acoustics right now. There -03 series are well under a grand and are constructed of the same materials as their more expensive higher-end models.

For fair disclosure, I own a bunch of acoustics from the Larrivee OM03R (<$800) to a Santa Cruz OM/PW (~$2500). Every sub $500 guitar I've played at Sam Ash/Guitar Center sucked real bad...

I don't have a very high opinion of the Sigma guitars that I've played. I really wanted to like them when they first came out, because I thought I could get a cheaper guitar that was Martin-esque. However, the workmanship was terrible and the sound didn't really impress me either. I've had much better luck with inexpensive Fender and Yamaha acoustics. YMMV.

I have a nice Martin, and old Yairi, and a $129 Fender. I use the Fender mostly to do open tunings as such. I have recorded with all three, and the Fender holds it own for its value and purpose...

I think you could get alot more for the money if you were in the $150-$195. At such a low price, you'll get so little value for the money that it will actually cost more for you to have it. Make sure that you include at least $25-$50 for getting it set up, and make sure that you are in a humidifier. Those two alone will help get your $175 Ibanez to actually be workable.

Wait another 1-2 months and save just a little more money- you'll be glad that you did.

$175= "This one is pretty good. It sounds OK and it definitely does the job."

$100= "I hate this piece of crap- please put some kerosene on it an blow it up."

Know what I mean? :)

TheRockDoc said:
I have a nice Martin, and old Yairi, and a $129 Fender. I use the Fender mostly to do open tunings as such. I have recorded with all three, and the Fender holds it own for its value and purpose...

I think you could get alot more for the money if you were in the $150-$195. At such a low price, you'll get so little value for the money that it will actually cost more for you to have it. Make sure that you include at least $25-$50 for getting it set up, and make sure that you are in a humidifier. Those two alone will help get your $175 Ibanez to actually be workable.

Wait another 1-2 months and save just a little more money- you'll be glad that you did.

$175= "This one is pretty good. It sounds OK and it definitely does the job."

$100= "I hate this piece of crap- please put some kerosene on it an blow it up."

Know what I mean? :)

I completely agree on setting some money aside for a good setup. Most cheap acoustic guitars are setup poorly out of the box.

scrubs said:
I don't have a very high opinion of the Sigma guitars that I've played. I really wanted to like them when they first came out, because I thought I could get a cheaper guitar that was Martin-esque. However, the workmanship was terrible and the sound didn't really impress me either. I've had much better luck with inexpensive Fender and Yamaha acoustics. YMMV.

I'm always on the hunt for some cheap gear but I've never been impressed with a sigma. I've played a bunch of them too. I do have a yamaha which was their bottom of the line acoustic a few years ago. I love this guitar and will never sell it. I have had alot of compliments on it's sound and more than a few guitar players have wanted to buy it from me. When I got it, the action was pretty rediculous but the shop owner gave it a setup for free. It's the perfect guitar. It sounds nice and it's not worth anything so it never got sold during hard times.

gordone said:
hmmmm, You're not going to get much of an acoustic for $100. Do you play acoustic? Do you want one to keep at the studio so a band can use it? I think any band/performer worth anything would already have their own acoustic(s) already. I know I would want to bring one of my own acoustics to record anywhere.

Now if you can up that budget to $400 (preferably $700) you can get a pretty decent acoustic that will be fairly versatile and not suck. Larrivee is (again IMNSHO) the best bang for the buck in acoustics right now. There -03 series are well under a grand and are constructed of the same materials as their more expensive higher-end models.

For fair disclosure, I own a bunch of acoustics from the Larrivee OM03R (<$800) to a Santa Cruz OM/PW (~$2500). Every sub $500 guitar I've played at Sam Ash/Guitar Center sucked real bad...

yeh i play, just looking for somthing that i can record with and startout with. so fender is decent eh?

msblaze said:
so fender is decent eh?
They're a mixed bag, imo. The cheapo DG-7/DG-8 models are not my personal favorite, but if you take the time to pick out a good one, and get it set-up properly, it should serve you well until you can afford something better. The DG-9 was a nice inexpensive guitar, but they didn't make it for very long. IIRC, the DG-14 was pretty good. My main acoustic is a Fender JG-26SCE electric/acoustic, which I absolutely love.

scrubs said:
They're a mixed bag, imo. The cheapo DG-7/DG-8 models are not my personal favorite, but if you take the time to pick out a good one, and get it set-up properly, it should serve you well until you can afford something better. The DG-9 was a nice inexpensive guitar, but they didn't make it for very long. IIRC, the DG-14 was pretty good. My main acoustic is a Fender JG-26SCE electric/acoustic, which I absolutely love.

and also i play left handed, would i get the same sound if i just strung a right haded acoustic for lefty use?

Back