[Sigh] Yet another synth/MIDI Q

Kore

I do a bit of recording at home, but am missing part of what I need to finish my recordings. I use Audition for recording, Fruity loops for sampling, but have no good (or even livable) MIDI/sequencing/synth method.

I have a keyboard w/MIDI out, so I can record MIDI data. No problem. But what programs are good for sequencing?

And this is not even the problem. My main problem is finding patches that don't sound like 1993 computers, or crappy keyboards from grandma's basement. I know that it is possible to locate different "libraries," "sound fonts," and whanot, but don't fully understand how to import them or what universal file extensions there are.

So, here a breakdown:

1. What exactly is a "soundfont?" Is there a universal file extension for these?

2. Where can I find fairly good-sounding soundsfonts/synth libraries to download?

3. WHat programs allow you to download/import other sounds?

My problem is that I want a variety of synthy/orchestral sounds, but ones that don't sound like the crappy default MIDI's, where 001 is a piano and the last few patches are shitty percussion.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kore said:
I do a bit of recording at home, but am missing part of what I need to finish my recordings. I use Audition for recording, Fruity loops for sampling, but have no good (or even livable) MIDI/sequencing/synth method.

I have a keyboard w/MIDI out, so I can record MIDI data. No problem. But what programs are good for sequencing?

And this is not even the problem. My main problem is finding patches that don't sound like 1993 computers, or crappy keyboards from grandma's basement. I know that it is possible to locate different "libraries," "sound fonts," and whanot, but don't fully understand how to import them or what universal file extensions there are.

So, here a breakdown:

1. What exactly is a "soundfont?" Is there a universal file extension for these?

2. Where can I find fairly good-sounding soundsfonts/synth libraries to download?

3. WHat programs allow you to download/import other sounds?

My problem is that I want a variety of synthy/orchestral sounds, but ones that don't sound like the crappy default MIDI's, where 001 is a piano and the last few patches are shitty percussion.

Thanks a lot in advance.

1. Soundfonts are the devil. .sfl

2. They all suck but you can probably start with google.

3. Not sure what your asking.

You may want to try virtual instruments like vsti's however the good ones don't come cheap.

A Sound Font is a particular type of audio file developed by Creative Labs for their Sound Blaster series of cards so that their on-board synths could be loaded up with other sets of sounds. They were supposed to be some sort of de facto standard for sound card synths but never got very widely supported. These days many software sample playback synths can load these sound sets, along with many other formats.

They do not all suck, they can be quite good. There are a lot of free ones of varying quality at HammerSound and Sonic Implants has some good commercial ones for sale.

The file extension of every sound font that I have is sf2.

What you load these in (if not a SoundBlaster card) are typically sample playback synths like sfz+ that are hosted as VSTi or DXi plug-in instruments in almost any recording package available.

Back