Sigh, I need a new mixer...

fred s.

Recently I picked up a Tascam MSR16, and upgraded from an 8 track. Now I need a new mixer (or a 2nd smaller mixer?) to handle more mono tracks from the MSR16.

What I have is a Mackie 1642VLZ pro, and I actually do like it a lot for its routing capabilities and phantom power, direct outs etc...
(I use an external preamp for tracking often, and Tascam PE-40 EQs instead of the Mackie EQ)

Any suggestions? How is the Tasam m216? Or using maybe the M208 along with my Mackie...bad idea? I've read some mixed (no pun!...ok bad pun) opinions about the m216 especially.

I know the m300 series are better, but I don't really have space for the M300s (my home studio is currently in a cramped NYC apartment).

Open to other suggestions too, not just Tascam, I also like new mixers.

Can't comment on those particular Tascams and forgive the spam, but I do have a Studiomaster Mixdown Classic that I'd part with. Might depend on just how cramped your quarters are, but I bring it up because it's a 24-channel, split-16 monitor, 8-group that I have to think would be perfect for an MSR16, lots of nice features and routing for what it is and a definite upgrade from a Mackie both in terms of sound and features, though the frame is much bigger. At any rate, my bias aside, the Studiomaster would be my suggestion for a non-Mackie, non-Tascam mixer. They did do a 16-channel version too. Not sure where your budget is, but have you considered something like a used Soundcraft Ghost?

Can't comment on those particular Tascams and forgive the spam, but I do have a Studiomaster Mixdown Classic that I'd part with. Might depend on just how cramped your quarters are, but I bring it up because it's a 24-channel, split-16 monitor, 8-group that I have to think would be perfect for an MSR16, lots of nice features and routing for what it is and a definite upgrade from a Mackie both in terms of sound and features, though the frame is much bigger. At any rate, my bias aside, the Studiomaster would be my suggestion for a non-Mackie, non-Tascam mixer. They did do a 16-channel version too. Not sure where your budget is, but have you considered something like a used Soundcraft Ghost?

The studiomaster might be a bit too much mixer for me/my space.

Take a look at the Tascam 2516 (8 buss) that might be the right combination of size/feature. Are you looking for more buss outs, more returns, or what specific limitation are you finding with the Mackie board? The 2516 probably will suit you well, with four aux sends. Or you could use something like a Fostex 2016 or Tascam MM-200 and use that as a sub mix for effects.

Take a look at the Tascam 2516 (8 buss) that might be the right combination of size/feature. Are you looking for more buss outs, more returns, or what specific limitation are you finding with the Mackie board? The 2516 probably will suit you well, with four aux sends. Or you could use something like a Fostex 2016 or Tascam MM-200 and use that as a sub mix for effects.

The Mackie is labeled as a 16 track mixer, but it really on has 8-10 (at best) proper mono channels, I need at least 6 more.

Back