Sigh...Electronic based music...

dreib

Im gonna ask this question here but if the mods think Ill get more replies, or better replies, some where else move accordingly .

My daughter loves to sing but does not like the type of music I can produce with real drums, and crappy guitar playing, so I need to know what basic software I could use to maybe produce more pop type songs?

Pads, synths, loops etc. etc.

I use Reaper.

Thanks

I know a lot of EDM guys use Ableton, it is rather expensive, but its major focus is around EDM and doing it live (hence the name Ableton Live). There is another new one out there that was created by some of the guys from Ableton called Bitwig. They have some nice features from what I have read, but I do not know much about it and it is a start up.

For Ableton, there are prepackaged plugins for loopers, samplers, drum machines, with a controller you can even work with it real time in what is called Session View. Session View (Arrangement view is to record more traditional) is all about controller loops in a grid. You might research that and probably find other software that compares.

I can say this first hand, I was playing with it, took an old Jimi Hendrix song, sampled some stuff off of it, started adding more to it and had what I thought was a pretty cool little dance tune (I am sure it would be lame for someone young). But the software is a cool concept and a great learning experience. Really changes how you look at music, recording and creating.

Ok Ill check that out! Does software like that work within Reaper or do I have to change my DAW?

I run on Linux so I don't have many specific recommendations. My understanding is that Reaper can do loops. I suppose the rest depends on how much of a learning experience you want this to be :)

It could be as simple as tracking and loops in reaper, pads and synths via midi keyboard and VST's... and a drum sequencer. If you want to stick with playing 'real' instruments. I once knew of a EDM producer who never used midi because he wasn't good with computers :0 Most instruments have some sort of analog to midi interface... though I've never seen anyone use a guitar to midi pickup, drum interfaces are pretty good nowadays... I use an Alesis D4 and enjoy it.

If you think you and your kid can handle it you can also go down the audio programming route. Pure-Data is popular among some of my interactive art friends Pure Data — PD Community Site ...and I am trying to wrap my head around Supercollider http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/ and both are free and open source and crazy powerful.

It is a DAW. I use it as my primary DAW, I use Reaper for tracking and mastering (mainly cause I like Reaper and wanted to learn it), you can rewire it to Reaper, but mainly it is the DAW.

If you do some Youtube searches of Ableton, you will see why it is a DAW and not a plug in. Many people perform with it on stage. Either as a standalone or with other performers. I consider it as much of an instrument as a DAW when used in Session View. As a suggestion, when you search for Ableton, search Ableton, Session View, that will give you an idea of what it is so different than traditional DAWs.

I know a lot of EDM guys use Ableton, it is rather expensive, but its major focus is around EDM and doing it live (hence the name Ableton Live). There is another new one out there that was created by some of the guys from Ableton called Bitwig. They have some nice features from what I have read, but I do not know much about it and it is a start up.

bitwig is similar to ableton too, just thought it was worth a mention, it's amazing software.

As mentioned earlier, it also runs on Linux if I am not mistaken. I haven't tried it out, so not sure how well and how stable it is yet.

Here's a list of over 100 plugins, including virtual synths, samplers, and drum machines. And here is a list of free sample libraries with sounds you can just drag onto a Reaper audio track or put into a sampler. VSTPlanet also has a big list of free synths. Many of these virtual synths come with presets for kick drum, snare, cymbal, etc, and they will probably all have useable bass sounds, plus lots of electronica and EDM type presets.

Computer Music magazine gives away a number of virtual synths and effects VSTs on their DVDs, and you can download them from here. My favourite for creating electronic music is Dune CM with a great sound and 128 very good presets. Zebra is also an excellent synth, even in the cut-down form you get from the magazine.

You'll probably want to study up on using MIDI instruments in Reaper. It doesn't take long to get to grips with.

By the way, your question would probably get the best response in the VSTs, Simulators, Sample Packs, Plugins forum since this is what you're looking for. (VST = Virtual Synthesizer Technology, VSTi = VST Instrument).

---------- Update ----------

Here's a list of over 100 plugins, including virtual synths, samplers, and drum machines. And here is a list of free sample libraries with sounds you can just drag onto a Reaper audio track or put into a sampler. VSTPlanet also has a big list of free synths. Many of these virtual synths come with presets for kick drum, snare, cymbal, etc, and they will probably all have useable bass sounds, plus lots of electronica and EDM type presets.

Computer Music magazine gives away a number of virtual synths and effects VSTs on their DVDs, and you can download them from here. My favourite for creating electronic music is Dune CM with a great sound and 128 very good presets. Zebra is also an excellent synth, even in the cut-down form you get from the magazine.

You'll probably want to study up on using MIDI instruments in Reaper. It doesn't take long to get to grips with.

By the way, your question would probably get the best response in the VSTs, Simulators, Sample Packs, Plugins forum since this is what you're looking for. (VST = Virtual Synthesizer Technology, VSTi = VST Instrument).

Two words... MASCHINE MIKRO.

loads of quality sounds/loops included... Really easy to use. Very adaptable. Nice pads/controller.

It's. Just. Badboy!!

VST = Virtual Synthesizer Technology

Actually, VST = "Virtual Studio Technology." Not griping. I actually like your definition better, since I like synths-- and like the song says, "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad." ;)

In addition to Computer Music, there's also Future Music and MusicTech.

Some cheaper "cut and shunt" software you might like to try.
Magix Music Studio. Steinberg Sequel (they have at last relented and enabled VSTis!)

For drums alone check out BFD Eco.

Dave.

Back