Sick Of Tuning.....Floyd Rose

Roktuk

God Bless The Apocalypse
Anyone know a good way to block a tremolo without hurting the guitar? Maybe there's a little gadget for this specific purpose. My brother spent a ton on an american made B.C. Rich and I just don't wanna shove a block of wood in there. On my first guitar I replaced the springs with bits of coat hanger, it worked, but... I just don't wanna fuck up his guitar. So who knows the best way to block that sucker?!?!

:)

That's a good idea.I was on stage one time with a strat w/a floating bridge and a string broke.The other five detuned in an unexpected way.Some went down but some went UP in pitch!It was impossible to re-tune on the fly and I was screwed.
I've kept my trem blocked ever since.By that I mean I don't literally use a block,although you can.I just didn't want to mar the finish.I use all 5 springs on the underside of the bridge and that holds it tight to the body.I still bust strings on the bandstand but at least this way you can keep playing because the remaining strings don't jump out of tune.I don't really "uptrem" so I don't lose anything by not floating.
Tom

Floyd Roses and such.....

I agree with Tom Hicks.......all 5 springs down tight and you won't have any tuning problems.I don't use a trem arm at all,so my strats are like hardtails.It was frustrating to play two notes at once,bending one,and have the unbent note go flat!I know there are ways to keep even stock strats in tune with the arm (a la Eric Johnson),but in all my years of graphite,vaseline,oil,tension adjustments and such,I finally figured that I ain't gonna be one of the lucky ones! I did have one strat that would NEVER go out of tune,no matter how you tortured it........and it was one of those horrible '70s guitars..........go figure..........

Tom's suggestion is the best. I've told many to do the same. I played with a guy once who had machined a metal plate to replace the springs, but unfortunately he never mass produced them them.
Jeff

There is something called the "Trem-Setter" Tremelo stabilizer that is supposed to help this problem. It replaces one of the springs in the back. I've never used one or known anyone who tried it, but it might be worth looking into. I've seen it other places, but I can't seem to locate one anywhere else besides one of my favorite places for guitar parts Stewart MacDonald. Here's is their address...

http://www.stewmac.com

They've got it listed at $34 (In my catalog which might be dated by now.)

Ask for a catalog, it's great!

Mark
Alpha Dog
http://www.mp3.com/alphadog
http://alphadog.iuma.com
http://www.musicbuilder.com/Alpha_Dog/

I know a guy that put an eraser under the 'fingers' on the top of the guitar. It seemed to work, but I haven't seen him in while... just a low budget suggestion.

I have a bit of a different question around blocking a trem. I have an ibanez saber that i really like (the first model, made in the US). But I hate the floyd even though it stays in tune well. it actually has this system where you can rest the trem block (in the rear cavity) against these adjustable fixed springs. This keeps the trem from pulling up, the guitar stays in tune when you break a string, and you don't get the flutter if you rest your hand on the bridge. It all works great...however...

I would like to further stabilze is so you can't press the trem dowm either. This would allow be to use different tunings and not worry about locking the nut. Also, you could have better in-tune string bending. It seems I would be able to do this by inserting something between the trem block and the inside of the rear cavitiy. It probably wouldn't be perfect - u still might get some movement and I wonder if you could damage the trem. Just a thought.

Has anybody done anything like this?

hi there, i have played with floyds fer years,,,if u put a block in the back of the guitar, up in the routed hole between the guitar and the inside side/bottom of the floyd, whenever u break a string, it'll never go outta tune on ya,,,,,,,the only downfall is u can't pull up in pitch, just dives,,,,,some of the folks up there were talking about putting 5 springs on instead of the normal 3 springs,,,,yeah i did that too, but remember now,,only turn those screws for the spring plate in when u have heavier gauge strings on, just keep them medium tight when using 10 gauge or lighter strings,,,,i used 11 to 49's so i tightened the screws up tight, but not as tight as if i were to have what say a stevie ray vaughn would use 12's er somethin like that.
remember this, the more u tighten in those screws which pulls on those springs,,the more your neck is being pulled, it's not a lot of stress but u would really notice the effect it has on the intonation when traveling from town to town, elevation to elevation,,,if u ever do travel with your guitar and the there is a huge change in the elevation and climate, don't fret if your guitar goes all weird, and don't try to adjust it, just leave it till u get back to your own area and everything should return to normal,,,those screws pulling on the springs really are a part of something greater than just keeping the strings in tune, it effects your neck and everything,,,,the trouble with those floyds are that the metal piece's right under the fine tuners r soo cheap, they get soft after a year er soo, then u really have to finesse the whole guitar, neever tighten down on the locking nut too hard, keep that locking nut clean of gum in between the teeth where the strings slide thruuuuu,keep yer fine tuners at a 50% adjustment point so they have tuning room either way, when locking down, not only should u never tighten too strongly but, when tighening the first allen screw, tighten just a little, do that with the rest, then come back to tighten up a bit more on all of them, floyds r weird, i actually gave up tremelos all together and concentrated on my finger fretboard vibrato for a while, remember that guys like steve via get floyds sent to them by the boxes,,free even, guitars will stay intune if the tremelos r used to just enhance a wave in the note, if u listen to guys who r really good with the tremelo work, they sound like they r doing these big vibrato ups and downs, but yer active ear will really learn that they barely touch them, that's how they work best, floyds r great, but when used right, a tremelo like on old strats and alike have no lockers,,,how does malmsteen stay in tune anyways eh? or ritchie blackmore?, hendrix? hey, if hendrix used his tremelo more that suble, he stayed in tune because the nut on his guitar was very very clean, and i'll bet a hot chocolate on that!!!!!! lol,,,,,,,peace :o)

The best solution I have found is to keep another tuned guitar on stage so when a string breaks switch guitars as
fast as possible.

Back