Shut up!!!

I don't have any direct experience with foam, but if it's like acoustics for a room they will do very little in terms of isolation, probably only knock off the top end of the noise a little. IMO it's better to upgrade to better, quieter components, than trying to isolate/absorb the noise after it's already been made. What's your loudest component? THe PSU fan, the CPU fan, harddiscs? There's a silencing solution to each one of those.

Yeah, I don't think the foam would do anything.

Best bet is to build a foam/fiberglass baffle for the computer to shield it from the mic. But it's pricey and large.

Another option is to go to Best Buy and get some Dynamat. Stick this on the inside of the case, and that'll help reduce the vibrations of the computer. Also, make sure you've got a decent computer case. I've got the non-glossy version of the Antec Sonata, which was designed to minimize noise. Turn your fans down, or better yet, get 120mm fans which move more air at lower RPM's and frequencies. I've got one pulling in cold outside air up front and two spitting out hot air in the back. Power supplies and CPU fans can be a source of noise as well.

Also, keep the computer clean. Tie all the cables and make sure they aren't all over the place. Blow out the dust once every couple weeks, especially in hard to reach areas and in the fans (and power supply fan). This will reduce heat, and your fans won't be cranked all the time.

Change out the power supply with a Zalman one...

Most of your noise problem will be gone.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/zalman400b.html

I stuck one of these in my pc and I can't tell if the thing is on without looking at the lights on the front.

To take care of the rest of the fans in the case I installed a watercooling kit.

I thought about those copper passive heatsinks but tolerances to heat seemed to much to chance.

In addition, you can get liquid cooling systems as opposed to fans. Their more expensive though. It's been a while since I looked, but I think some of them are in the neighborhood of $200.

Basically most of the noise comes from the fans (including the power supply fan).

How much trouble do you want to go through to get it quited down..??

Build a cabinet out of 3/4 plywood, I'd say with at least 5 or 6 inches of space on all sides. Doors on the front and back for access. Leave about 1/2 inch of space at the bottom of the doors to get air in and wires out of the cabinet. Pop a 5 inch round hole near the top of the back door. Plumb the hole with dryer duct hose out of the room and stick a 5 or 6 inch 110vac cooling fan to on the end of the hose to SUCK air through the cabinet. Line the inside top, sides and doors of the cabinet with your sound insulating material of choice.

--
Rob

Back