ShureKSM 27

Shockwave

Anyone use this mic? I bought and used it and it seems real nice but a little rough on the high freq's. It does have a roll off switch, but I haven't used it yet. I'm coming from an old dynamic mic and as you can imagine, I loved the clarity and increased high feqs of a condenser and all, but it seems a bit too bright. My ears are "growing up" in this respect, so any input from someone in the know (Harvey!) would be appreciated. Also, I did not push up the highs while recording. I left the eq untouched. Thanks for the input.

Shockwave,

I'm probably a lot newer than you at this - but I love the thing. That being said, my only comparison is my SM 57. I believe much of the 'brightness' has to do with recording environment, and I've experimented a great deal with placement and rooms used.

I couldn't believe the improvements I was able to make by delving into the famous 'Big Thread' - started by 'Chris F', and finished by 'Harvey Gerst' - which if you haven't caught is incredible! (started on 4/30/01 - titled "How does diaphram size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?"). I ended up running out of paper and ink to print on.

I use both mics for vocals and accustic guitar - it just depends on what kind of 'feel' I'm looking for...but I think the 27 is a pretty decent mic.

JD

If you're finding you get too much top end singing straight on-axis, try turning the mic 45 degrees off-axis, and also work in a bit closer (use a pop filter too.) Going slightly off-axis and getting some proximity effect going can ease the highs and bring the bottom up too. Try it and see...

Have fun :)

TP

Back