Shure SM57 Capsule.

CMolena

Hey guys.

I got an old broken Shure SM57 from a friend and I wanted to know if there is anything I can mod to use it. The capsule is broken, so I should either buy a new SM57 capsule (which is 78 dollars...and is almost the price of a brand new 57) or do crazy stuff with this scrap mic.

Is there anything you guys know that I could be experimenting with it? Like, trying a similar mic capsule from a different mic instead of the normal one...

Thanks in advance for any answer.

I know the capsule is pricey compared to a "new" used mic. But if it was me, I'd fix it proper.

Many times repairs can cost more than you'd expect compared to the value of something, but hey, thats life.

I'd fix it right rather than consign it to the junk pile or put an inferior capsule in it.

But thats just me.

I replaced mine with a capsule from an older sure microphone. Unidyne something...can't remember.
It was cheap though.

Yes, I heard those sounds really interesting. Do you know a place where I could buy it online?

Yes, I heard those sounds really interesting. Do you know a place where I could buy it online?

My memory totally sucks but I'm pretty sure whatever I bought just used the same capsule as a 57.
I got it on eBay. I wouldn't buy an actual 57 new or used on there, though. ;)

Back