Shure SM57 Capsule Rattles: What Should I Do?

Confusitron

I just recently purchased a used Shure SM57 from a seller on eBay. I received the microphone safely. It is in pretty nice physical condition, however, after shaking the microphone, I've discovered that the capsule rattles.

I recorded a short clip of my voice with the microphone (without any problems) and shook the microphone as well while it was recording. The microphone picked the rattling up. I am afraid that the rattle will occur because of frequencies produced by other instruments while the microphone sits still during recording.

I've emailed the seller of the microphone and they've told me they did not have an issue with the microphone prior to shipping and they say that if I have an issue with it, I should claim it with the USPS (who shipped it). They also said that I could ship it back to them and have their technical people look at the microphone.

I have examined the capsule of the microphone and have noticed two circular indentations on the sticker. Could there be screws underneath these indentations?

Does anyone have any idea how I could repair the mic, or if the indentations I discovered are screws?

What should I do?

Thank you.

ya blame it on shipping first, then if it is denied, blame the seller and get your money back.

plus it must be 30 years old, if it is broken, so let it retire.

TragikRemix said:
ya blame it on shipping first, then if it is denied, blame the seller and get your money back.

plus it must be 30 years old, if it is broken, so let it retire.
No, it looks to be one of the late '90s models.

maybe the capsule was swapped and things didn't go back together just right.................just wanted to plant that seed in your head. :D

or it's a "distressed" knock off.

or something really is broken inside.

why don't you post a sound clip and let everyone decide if it sounds like a legit 57.

Have you ever used a 57 before? The black plastic "grill" type thing is supposed to be loose and produces a rattling sound when shaken, but thats not part of the capsule. Just want to make sure we rule that out.

markitzero said:
Have you ever used a 57 before? The black plastic "grill" type thing is supposed to be loose and produces a rattling sound when shaken, but thats not part of the capsule. Just want to make sure we rule that out.
Yes, I am aware of the rattling from the "grill". Infact, I discovered that that was also rattling and taped the grill to the microphone's body. The other rattling was still there.

Ford Van said:
If after you taped it it still has that "rattling" sound, the mic is bad.
Yes, but even with the rattling sound, the mic had no trouble recording my voice. I haven't tried recording anything else, however.

Sorry, I thought I read that you can hear the rattling while you are recording.

If you do not hear the rattling in your recording, don't worry about it. If you just HAVE to fix it, you can contact Shure and get a replacement windscreen, but it is a bit tricky to install.

markitzero said:

It's supposed to spin, not rattle. I've owned 4 over the years made at different times and none ever rattled.

Hey guys... Check this out. It's the grill assembly.

If I can find out if the mic is out of warranty from the original owner, then I'll pop this baby open.

Boys!

The problem is solved! The rattling is gone!

I followed the directions in the PDF file that I posted a link to to remove the grill/windscreen. As I suspected, that was the part that was rattling (nothing to do with the capsule, thank goodness).

I moved the windscreen inside the grill with a screwdriver until something fell out. It was a small piece of something that is about the size of a speck of dirt! That was all that fell out. The grill stopped rattling!

I took pictures of the extremely small particle if anyone would like to see it.

Now all I have to do is reassemble the microphone.

Thanks for your input, folks!

Back