Shure SM 94 or SM81

I wouldn't trade my sm81's for anything....they're AWESOME... have no exp with the other mic, but I can tell you you won't be sorry if you got the 81's...just my .02

I have had SM94s, SM81s, and now KSM141s. I have to say I liked them all a lot, but I can't afford to keep all of them, so I kept the KSM141s.

The SM81 is an obviously better mic than the SM94, but I would say the same about the KSM141 to the SM81, and not everybody would agree. The SM94 isn't bright at all, which is refreshing compared with a lot of other choices in its price range. It is MUCH better than the C1000, which is similar in that both can run off internal battery.

For acoustic guitar though, I would probably pick the SM81. In fact it would win on most sources, other than something like fiddle.

Other pros for the SM94: it fits the same clips as the SM58/57. It's really a very good live condenser for ac guitar, overheads, and yes fiddle :) It isn't too expensive and the clip interchangeability is handy. I did several shows with mine on a wide range of sources (choir, bells, piano, fiddle, guitar, overheads, even a play) and was always pleased.

Reactions: XLR
If I was only using the mic in the studio, the SM81 would be the clear choice. But the SM94 will operate with a battery (unlike the SM81 which requires phantom power) so it can be a better choice for performing in situations where phantom is or may be unavailable. It's also a cheaper mic which means something if you are gigging it, although both mics are pretty hardy. I actually prefer the AT4051 to either (smoother IMHO), but it is more $$ (although they run about $250 used) and not quite as hardy as the Shures if you are gigging.

Reactions: XLR
I have had an SM94 forever and it has always been in the meh category for me. The only reason I keep it is for the battery. It does alright live on stringed instruments and for a somewhat distant vocal mic (for presentations etc), but for much else I have always preferred something else.

I have a bunch of sm94's, 81's and various KSM series mics in my mic packs. The 94's are only there to get a quantity of condensors at a low price. The 81's sond better to me than the 94's in virtually every situation. Personally, I prefer the KSM's almost every time to the 81 as well, but I can certainly imagine situations where the 81 may be the better choice, but not the 94.

Back