shure sm-7b

donkeystyle

I just recieved my shure sm7b that I found on ebay. It was 290.00 after shipping. I thought I was buying a used mic that someone was describing as new.......for some reason the description made me think it was one of those mics advertised as new and then when you look at the auction you realise that it has "only been used once."

anyway. I was thinking "this is a decent price on a used sm-7." well, I opened it today and it was brand new in box with the original tamper evident white packing tape.

I'm pretty excited.

that is all.

Reactions: SRR
sweet...I got an SM7A about 3 weeks ago...it was only $277.00 but it had been taken apart from the mounting bracket and turned upside down....when I turned it back right, I saw what it was reversed...the bracket couldnt be tightened enough to hold the mic still....I just got a couple of rubber washers and it tightened up just fine...

awesome. I can't wait till I get time to really check it out. so far all I've had time to do is plug it in and quickly make sure it works.

I just bought some josephson c42's a couple weeks ago and haven't had time to really use them either.

I also got an SM7B a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to really give it a test. All I know is, it's one of the extremely few mics that actually makes my voice sound passable and fit into a mix... so I can't wait to try it on a real singer with actual vocal talent.

sweet...I got an SM7A about 3 weeks ago...it was only $277.00 but it had been taken apart from the mounting bracket and turned upside down....when I turned it back right, I saw what it was reversed...the bracket couldnt be tightened enough to hold the mic still....I just got a couple of rubber washers and it tightened up just fine...

I too just scored an SM7 (mines the B - maybe the A is different). Make sure all the parts of the holder assembly are properly seated. Mine (like all) come shipped in the boom configuration, and I switched it around to the mic stand config. Anyway, it was pretty tricky to get the little brass sleeve inside the two inner washers. I had to use a flatedged screw driver to shove those washers around until they were perfectly centered, so that the sleeve could slide in all the way. The manual warns about this, even.

So far, I'm really liking this mic. For any other folks who may be interested, if you are willing to get a credit card that you'll use only once, you can save $30 and get the thing shipped brand new thru amazon for less than $300.

MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS
The SM7B can be mounted on a microphone stand or hung
from a boom. It is shipped in the boom mounting configuration
(see Figure 1). To set up the SM7B in the microphone stand
mounting configuration (see Figure 2), proceed as follows:
1. Remove tightening nuts on the sides (see Figure 7).
2. Remove the fitted washers, the lock washers, the outer
brass washers, and the brass sleeves.
3. Slide the bracket off the microphone. Be careful not to lose
the washers still on the microphone.
4. Invert and rotate the bracket. Slide it back onto the bolts
over the brass and plastic washers still on the microphone.
The bracket should fit so the XLR connector faces the rear
of the microphone, and the Shure logo on the back of the
microphone is right-side up.
5. Replace the brass sleeves. Be sure they are seated properly
within the inner washers.

6. Replace the outer brass washers, the lock washers and the
fitted washers.
7. Replace the tightening nuts and tighten the microphone at
the desired angle.
NOTE: If the tightening nuts do not hold the microphone
in position, one or both of the brass sleeves may not be
properly seated within all the washers.

Congrats to donkeystyle on his recent acquisition.

I have a couple of second-hand Beyer M400s (Soundstar MkIIs), that I got on the recommendation of various people a few years ago who said that this mic was a lot like an SM7. At the time, there seemed to be a bit of an internet frenzy whipped up over these Beyer mics, that appears to have died down now.

Lately, I've been looking at my mic collection, and, because the US dollar is down a bit, the exchange rate is much better than it has been in almost 20 years for an Australian like me to buy from the US. So, an SM7 now becomes affordable.

I'm kind of curious to know just how close to the SM7 the Soundstar mics are. If they really are close, then I needn't worry about the SM7.

Any opinions?

For vocals, I like them both about equally. Having said that, the SM7 is a far more versatile mic, useful for horns, drums, guitars, etc., as well as vocals.

I will agree with Harvey on this assessment. I still have a couple of MkII's around and they dont get used as much as they used to. I think the low-end is much tighter on the SM7 and its definately a 'thicker' sounding mic. It needs a pre with more gain than the Beyer and is more versatile in every way. The Beyer is my personal secret weapon on brassy hi-hats. That or an ATM61.

Thanks guys, that is helpful.

I do like the M400. It was just kind of curious how there was all this buzz about the mic on the forums a couple of years back, and then it dropped away.

The mics still show up on ebay.

Thanks guys, that is helpful.

I do like the M400. It was just kind of curious how there was all this buzz about the mic on the forums a couple of years back, and then it dropped away.

The mics still show up on ebay.
The Beyer Soundstar Mk II was the vocal mic of choice for the examples of the Christian Funk band I posted in the "Do you need expensive equipment" thread.

Yeah, it sounds good there, in your hands.:)

As far as dynamic mics go, currently I have 1xElectrovoice RE15, 1xShure SM58,
2xBeyer M400, and 2xAKG D330BT... all second-hand from ebay.

It's just tempting, what with the current exchange rate, to look at getting a "top of the range" dynamic mic.

But maybe I should just save the cash and work with what I have...

shure sm7b

I'm curious as to other uses for the sm7b. I've had one for 6 months now. So far, I've used it on my crappy acoustic guitar and toms and I was pleased with the sound I got from the acoustic guitar by aiming it at the sixth fret and pointed away from an sm57 aimed straight at the body (coupled with a condenser to capture the room and to help the lows. I tried using it for vocals after watching a video of wilco and jeff tweedy (their singer) was using one without either of the pop covers on it- didn't really seem to work with my voice though. I think possibly it's because I am not a loud singer and ths mic requires so much gain on it it makes me sound different?

i just acquired an sm7b and, my word, it needs a serious amount of preamp gain...
nice though...very nice...

I just got mine (SM7b) last week for $317 brand new. It does require you to crank the gain, but it is definitely worth the $$$$.

SM7B thoughts

I find my SM7B to be great on louder sources, for example, strong rock vocals, electric guitar, bass cab, snare drum, floor tom, bass drum, and horns. It has a "thick" "focussed" sound, very direct and "in your face".

Yeah it takes a bit of gain for quiet sources, but I generally find it's not the right mic for those sources anyway. Try a sensitive condenser for the meeker applications. The SM7 is one of those mics that really benefits from a high quality preamp, and as you can afford to improve the signal chain this mic will still be a favourite. Perhaps not a "go-to" as much as say a u89, but a real character mic.

i've a old JM pre that has plenty of gain...and my EMU1820 has plenty of gain at 40db...for the SM7

like many say the many pre's will get noisy as we crank them up. the yamaha MD8 benefits from better outboard pre's for example, at least the one I had.

SM57 needed some pump too.

My SM7 is my fav mic so far. Use it for guitar, rock vocals, voiceover and gonna try it on my bass horn when we get around to recording it.

Awesome mic, lovely sound and nice and chunky :) Gotta say thanks to this forum for suggesting it :)

Back