Shure PG Series?

audiogeography

Has anyone had any experience with the Shure PG Series 52 or 56? I am looking for a decent priced kick mic since it's really the only thing missing from my immediate mic collection. If anyone has any advice or alternatives that would be excellent!

Personally, I think the PG52 is a pretty weak kick mic. The 56's seem to do OK on toms, and the 52 on larger toms, but the standard beta52 really does sound a lot more powerful to me than the PG52.

Has anyone had any experience with the Shure PG Series 52 or 56? I am looking for a decent priced kick mic since it's really the only thing missing from my immediate mic collection. If anyone has any advice or alternatives that would be excellent!

sounds almost like the SM series, but it's muddier (assuming that everything follows, i have the PG-58 and the SM-58

Not sure what those are priced at, but I'd buy a Audix D-6 if I were you. On of the best mics for inside kicks that I've tried, kicks the D112's butt any day of the week in my books (but not the D12!!).

Personally, I think the PG52 is a pretty weak kick mic. The 56's seem to do OK on toms, and the 52 on larger toms, but the standard beta52 really does sound a lot more powerful to me than the PG52.

yeah-- i've owned all the mics that xstatic mentioned and i'd agree with that assessment.

I have had pretty bad luck with tthe Kickball. Every time I have tried it even with the different settings it has sounded pretty bad. A club I work at has one. Every time I tell the owner to put it away and pull the D112 out the kickball makes the D112 sound amazing. As far as kick mics go though, I really do not care much if it is a D112, beta52, sennheiser602 or an Audix D6. They all need some processign to get the big rock kick sound so I do not care which I have to se that day. Any of those 4 I am always able to make sound great, they just require a little different EQ from each other.

I have had pretty bad luck with tthe Kickball. Every time I have tried it even with the different settings it has sounded pretty bad. A club I work at has one. Every time I tell the owner to put it away and pull the D112 out the kickball makes the D112 sound amazing. As far as kick mics go though, I really do not care much if it is a D112, beta52, sennheiser602 or an Audix D6. They all need some processign to get the big rock kick sound so I do not care which I have to se that day. Any of those 4 I am always able to make sound great, they just require a little different EQ from each other.

Very cool.

Sounds like you're a "power user", since you're doing live sound all week. Is your typical kick drum mic'ing setup based on one mic? If so, are you mic'ing the kick drum inside, through the outer head vent hole, or are you mic'ing the front head, or? Also, what do you generally use, EQ-wise, for the D112, Beta52, Senn602 and Audix D6 to get the big, rock kick sound?

I'm guessing a lots of people reading this forum would appreciate your insight and real life experience. Thanks!

i have a PG57.....as well as the SM57. I guess the PG57 is the "budget" version of the SM57.........

.....and the PG seems to have more open higher frequencies, and not as "focused" as the SM series.....

...but its a usable mic........not the greatest in the world, but it works......

I have the PG 56/52 drum mic set, which I;m actually getting rid of now that I have a few better mics. The 56 is decent on a snare, although its sounds a little thin and needs alot of EQ. Haven't tried it on the toms. I've yet to get a usable kick sound out of the PG52. No matter how much I tinker with placement or EQ-ing, it still sounds muddy and dull.

I didn't read any replies to this, but you really get what you pay for with the pg series. Especially with the 52. It just doesn't come close to the beta52. My band's drummer bought the full pg drum mic kit and I'm really not a fan of any of the mics. The 57 type things with the clips are okay for toms in an emergency (you show up to a gig and the house mic package doesn't have enough tom mics for your drummer's 8 piece kit), but I'd really stay away from them.

I'd recommend saving for the beta52. Others you might want to try are the audix d6 or the sennheiser e602(my personal favourite).

My mic technique changes daily based on a combination of the mic, the kit, the desired sound, the PA, the room, my mood etc... I am the house guy at a theatre, I run a sound company, I work for another larger sound company, own a studio and privately contract with bands. Thats kind of what has to be done in my area for me to live the way I want and not have to have some sort of regular job.

Here is what I have noticed... The D112 has a more pronounced midrange, but is easy to EQ. The Sennheiser 602 has a huge low end and a nice snap, but the midrange gets covered easily. Also, the 602 often creates a low 50 hz'ish tone when placed directly in the port of a kick drum and run with a big enough drum fill. It's almost like a low frequency but it isn't. Its a solid tone that does not get louder or quieter but only happens when the mic is in the port of a kick drum head. It may be some sort of proximity effect. Add a agte though and this can be really cool. It really adds a lot of "bump". The beta 52 seems kind of vanilla. The ows are there, the highs are there, the mids are ok, but it never really sounds very exciting until you add a lttle EQ and make a cut or two. The D6 has a good low end, tight mids, but the highs get really harsh really easily. The D6 also seems to not take low frequency EQ as well.

As far as micing goes, I prefer to run a 2 mic setup for that rock sound or be resolved that it could take some serious EQ'ing to get what you want out of 1 mic. Live I stick either a shure beta91 or a Sennheiser 901 on the inside of the kick, and whichever other mic I am using (I actually prefer the Sennheiser, but have not tried the newere dual element AT yet or the newer Sennheiser 901) in the port. For jazz or drummers that have no port, I often mic from the batter side of the drum. Eq wise, I like to add a little in the extremem lows around 50 or 60, scoop out a nice big chunk at around 600, and then make a smooth little boost at 3k and again at about 8 or even 10k depending on the quality of the setup (live or studio). Many people talk about not EQ'ing much, but if you really want that big rock kick sound don't be afraid to push the EQ fairly hard (assuming you are using a decent EQ). Try pushing the lows up a little more than you think, really cutting the mids, and pushing the 8k up quite a bit if you have a dense bass and guitar mix. If your mix has room, I would probably reccomend a lot less total EQ. It really depends on what the mix demands and how your tracks are comingout.

I guess it's what you're used and how you go about making due with what you have. A couple years ago (or probably more) I started out recording drums and picked up the Beta 52. It took some getting used to and placement and drum tuning really impacted the output but I'm a fan of it. I also have the D6 which seems to be easier in terms of placment but the sound always seems to have a lot more "pop". Great for me in heavy metal types of sound but the Beta52 sounds a little more rounded out to me. I go to it when micing up classic rock and jazz kits. While I stay away from micing bass cabs I have done it with decent results. I like to put the two mics together! I like putting the 52 on the inside and the D6 on the outside at the beater.

On the subject of blending mics, I'm a big fan of the Audix I5 as a compliment to the trusty SM57. I5 on top snare and SM57 underneath. Same thing with guitar cabs. Similar mics but the character is quite a bit different. I mention this because that's the way I look at comparing the Beta52 and the D6. The best kick mic IMHO would be one that blended the two microphone characteristics together.

I can't call the Beta52 a junky mic by any stretch but you do have to be willing to play around with it. IMHO, the D6 seems to be easier to place.

Back