Shure KSM32 A simple analysis

Massimo

I got my KSM32 yesterday. So I plugged it in my Korg D1200 digital 12 track.
I already had some music tracks set to add some vocals to. I don't have a mic pre amp except for the one built in my Korg. Anyway I plugged my mic in and recorded my vocals. The results were it sounded Ok, nothing spectacular, it wasn't too bright or too low but fairly balanced. I recorded the same vocals with a SM58 on a virtual track to compare the two. The KSM32 obviously sounded clearer but with the right EQing the SM58 could sound close to it. To be conitnued...

But of course, in the long run, you don't want to have to EQ something to make it sound like you want if there is another tool that will do the same thing. As far as preamps go, you could either the "PRE/DIGI converter" ala ART DPS or just get a pre and plug it into your XLR with your Korg's pre on LINE. Of course, then it's argued that you are not getting the true essence of your new preamp because it's masked by your KORG's even with it on LINE. Whatever you do, best of luck.

Jeremiah

I'm not familiar with the "PRE/DIGI converter" ala ART DPS stuff. But was thinking of a small tube pre that I plug in and output to my Korg. You say this way I'm not getting the true essence of my Pre because my Korg's masking it, hmm that's interesting I never thought of that. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the input.

Massi

To be honest I didn't even know what a pre amp was untill not too long ago. But you learn alot here on these forums. I can't believe people can spend thousands on one, wow. Now that I have a good mic I realize that I'm going to need one to get the most out of it. But your point of plugging one in and then it getting masked by my Korg was a good tip.

>>This is the ART DPS (tube pre with digital converter to go in your Digital IN on your Korg.) I don't know how much you know about preamps, but this one is just the tip of the iceberg...never used the DPS, but I have an ART TPS that is ok.<<

Thanks for the link. So this pre amp would plug into my digital in on my Korg. I see, bypassing the installed pre amp. I'll have to investigate all this further.

Thanks again

Mas

If you care, check my fist few posts I posted last year about "getting true Avalon sound" etc pertaining to the "mic pre/converters making a difference". I've learned quite a bit since then thanks to these forums.

Back