Shure KSM-44...

schwa

Has anybody run across one of these? There was a lot of press over the last year regarding the KSM-32, almost all of it positive. I have seen some reviews of the '44 and the opinions have varied, but I haven't seen any raves yet.

I'd be interested in hearing some real world experiences if there are any out there.

thanks

The primary difference (but significant difference) between the 32 and the 44 is the multiple pick-up patterns with the 44. I've read some reviews that the 44 is "warmer" I've done a A/B and I don't notice a major difference.

Naturally the different patterns do create tonal difference.

I've got the 32 and I'm very satisfied - I've got a musical associate who has the 44 and he is very satisfied (naturally he prefers it to his Crown and his 4033).

Thanks for your thoughts...

I was aware of the addition of the polar patterns, it is also a true condensor (as opposed to electret) and has a 1" diaphram (as opposed to 3/4").

Does anyone else have any personal experience with this mic? Specifically, I'd be interested in applications it works well or not so well in, and other mics you have used to compare it against.

That I'm really getting at is - Is this mic suitable for a single mic personal studio? I would have been inclined to the KSM-32, but the patterns seem to make the '44 more versatile.

i havent used this, but a comparison to a new mic i bought. An AKG414buls. ive been playin with it, and using omni mode is great for acoustic guitar and voice. multipattern is essential if you are going one mic studio. which multipattern? id ont know, there are a ton of them out there. TEST them our, the AKG414 suits my voice like a glove. i dont know why, it just does. and its very nice on acoustic guitar as well :)

argento

i just picked up the ksm44
it is the most amzing vocal mic i have ever used..
there isnt really anythgin better. The switching makes it a tad mroe versatile..

tenebre

I found a web page a while ago that said that the KSM44 sounded virtually identical to the AT4050 (so right there you know it has to be an excellent mic), and it showed a frequency response graph for both mics and they were very similiar. Unfortunatly I didn't bookmark the page, but if I can find it again I'll post the link.

Back