Shure KSM 27 vs. Shure KSM 32?

triple cubic

Is there really any difference between these two microphones? And if so, is it really worth paying that much more for the 32? I've heard good things about the 27...

I will be using one of these mics for vocals only.

Anybody know what's better?

Lemme know... thanks, y'all. :)

- T

I own a ksm 32 and its a great all round mic.
I do know that they are not the same as the ksm32 is a medium diaphram I think 3/4
inch and the ksm27 is a large 1 inch so there is some differance but I cant tell you
cause never heard the 27.

I doubt either way you will be disapointed on which one you get.

I don't own either but I did go and listen to them. I was looking for a good vocal mic and so I tried several at the sound booth at GC. I thought there was a noticible difference between the two. The 32 was just more natural sounding to my ears. The 27 sounded good too but not as nice as the 32. I ended up buying the RODE NT1000 though. If I could have afforded the KSM32 I may have gone with it but the NT1000 edged out the KSM27 for what I was was looking for in a vocal mic.

You really should go and give them a listen for yourself. Your ears may be looking for something different than mine.

Blessings, Terry

Thanks...

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'll probably end up getting the KSM 27 since it's still high quality for a little bit less.

Appreciate you guys' advice.

Peace,

Eufonik

I have the KSM32 and I like it, but not for most vocals. It's a nice accurate mic, that does great with percussion, bass insturments, some amp cabs, and some vocals. If you want vocals to sound un-hyped and natural, it's a good mic. If you want a more tradional mic for "bigger than life vocals" you won't get it out of the KSM32.

I can't speak for the 27 because I've never heard it. But the buzz is that it's got a but more of a flattering response for vocals - albeit less accurate.

HAve you been able to listen to the KSM44? that is one awesome mic. Did a female singer for a whole album with a borrowed one. It really gave it a warm vintage feel which is what I was going for. I suspect that the 27 is the 44 but one diaphragm only. The 44 has a 1 inch diaphragm.

I can't afford the KSM 44... that would break the bank, plus I think it's a bit of overkill for my purposes...

The 27 looks just about right. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone on this board for helpin' me out whenever I post here. You guys are the coolest!

- T

Back