Shure BG 4.1

Octava219

I recently bought a Shure microphone that looks just like a PG-81. But it's not. It is a pencil style electret condenser called a BG-4.1. It sounds really good and I got it brand new with a nice case and clip for fifty bucks. Sounds great on an acoustic guitar. Anyway, does anyone else have one of these and what do you think of them? I guess fifty was a good deal.....

it is the precursor to the pg81. I have a pair of these. They're ok. Its hard to describe the character. They're kinda bland and they have a bit of an attenuated high-end. They're better for live than recorded sound as they can take quite a beating.

I had a BG 4.0 that I used for years. (same mic as the 4.1, Shure renamed it but changed nothing else) It has the capacity to run on a AA battery as well as phantom power, but sounds slightly better on phantom. I used it until I upgraded to an sm81, then sent it on to my son.

It's a pretty good little mic. Nice on acoustic. I read of a commercial studio, (sorry can't remember who) that loved a pair of these on piano.

It is probably the best mic in the Beta Green series. It looks and sounds a little like an sm94.

Hmmm

I haven't tried this (it's the only electret I have) but if I use a phantom source I don't need the AA correct? Or should I leave the battery in or remove it or it doesn't matter. Thanks..:confused:

If at all possible remove the battery and use phantom for if you forget the battery and it starts to corrode then you have to clean it etc............

If at all possible remove the battery and use phantom for if you forget the battery and it starts to corrode then you have to clean it etc............

True. But it will automatically choose the phantom power if it is available. You don't have to remove the battery to use it. I used to use it to mic acoustic guitar live on battery power. Originally I bought it to record on a cassette portastudio that had no phantom power.

Back