Shure Beta 58a vs. Audio Technica AE6100

FURAX Eric

Both of these are around the same price range (Beta is $159, AE6100 is $169).. I was just wondering which of the two was a better contender for my wallet?

Vocal style being performed is screaming/singing requiring high SPL tolerance. I'm going to use it for live/recording. I already own a SM58 and I'm happy with it, I just wanted to make a step up. So which step is the wisest?

Eric, whichever one you choose, my advice is for you to get a nice
used one as dynamics tend to hold up well with typical use.
While AT is a fine company, the Beta 58 (or 57) has acquitted itself as a fine microphone for many performance artists for
either live use or recording. (not really familiar with the AE6100)
If you go to www.shure.com you can read about the different
artists that use their products.

Chris

P.S. While the majority of singers seem to prefer the Beta series
over the SM58, some singers STILL sound better on a '58!

Though both the Shure Beta 58 and the AT AE6100 are very good microphones, I like the way the AE6100 sounds for the exact specific recording application that you are doing. I actually own both of these mics and have been using them in both the live and studio realms, with screaming and singing vocals in a metal band that i was in. I personally like the way the AE6100 sounds over the Beta 58 both live and in the studio. It as a better response to screaming than the Beta does. Gives the whole vocal a more rounded, fuller sound.

I hope this helps you out.

Back