Shure 545

planetorange

I just got a shure 545 and the cable end is has 8 holes (7 around 1 center one) and i need to know what adapter i need and where i can find it. Thanks

Never heard of that on a 545. It sounds like you have like an old Neumann type connector on it that would go to a power supply but the 545 doesn't need one. I say just chop it off and put an XLR on it since thats what just about everything runs now.

Most likely, you should just cut off the connector completely. There should be 2 wires there and you will connect those to pins 1 and 2 on the XLR. What model is your 545? If it's one that has the stand base built into it, you can check and see how many wires it has going to the cable. If it has 8 wires in it, it could be some weird version of a 545 that has 3 different impedence settings with wires for them all. Usually, those will only have 6 wires at the most and would have something on the mic to change the impedence either with a switch or by rewiring in the mic. I have never heard of a connector that was made for all of those wire so my guess is that someone put it on to be able to adapt it to the equipment they had. If you have a picture of the mic and connector, it will be a lot easier to answer questions.

BTW - Save the connector and figure out what it goes to cause its probably worth $20 bucks from the sound of it and would make an easy sale on Ebay.

That's an old amphenol 4 pin connector. Here is how you wire it to a 1/4" and XLR.

Pins 1 and 2 of this connector are the high impedance output. Pin 2 is the hot. To wire this output for a quarter inch connector, connect pin 1 to the sleeve (ground or shield) and pin 2 to the tip of the connector.

Pins 3 and 4 are the low impedance balanced output. Pin 4 is the plus, pin 3 is the minus, and Pin 1 is the ground or shield.

So just chop off that old connector (which I must say, I've never seen one like that, maybe someone else here can tell ya what it goes to) and put on either a 1/4" or XLR, depending on what you want to use the mic for.

Angusdevil said:
Never heard of that on a 545.
It's the "Unidyne III," the previous incarnation of the SM57, without a switched base. The switched-base model is a different number.

There's a wiring diagram for it somewhere on the Shure site. I know, because I've downloaded it. Stock, it has the Shure 4-pin jack in the bottom. Last year, Scott Dorsey told me how to take these apart to rewire them, but I've already forgotten. :confused:

For more information, go here.

I was making reference to the 8 hole connector to the end of the cable. I own a few 545's actually and IMHO, they sound better than a 57. Actually, I'm selling one right now (aight, shameless plug but what can I say)

Back