Show recording question

kobra

Hello
I know this is a regular topic, and I'm rereading all the old threads, but humor me. I am going to be recording my band plus 4 other bands at a show (1 tape per band). I wil be playing and all, so I'm not going to be able to sit by the mixing board and check levels or anything. I am just going to be running 2 outputs out of the mixer to my Tascam MKII Porta 4 track. How can I ensure good levels, and a good live sound too? I don't want him making the levels good for the 4 track at the expense of the show? Feel free to email numbe25@aol.com or post answers here.
Thanks

The inevitable problem of just recording the board mix, is that the house engineer (and audience) is hearing the reinforced sound PLUS whatever direct acoustic sound is coming directly from the instruments, instrument amps, and stage monitors. What you are getting by recording off the board lacks that acoustic component, so it may end up being lite on the drums, for instance.

You may want to reinforce the board mix with some house mics.

show recording question

Hello
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna use 2 tracks for the mixer submix, and the other 2 for room mics. Next 2 questions: 1. Where should the room mics go? 1 above the stage to catch drums, and 1 by the mixing board (which is halfway to the back of the club, 40 feet tops from the stage)? Also, I was reading in other threads about recording to a VCR. How can I do this, and can I still record tapes at the same time? I guess I just do a stereo line output to the vcr, or what? Help please.
Thanks

Your way may work, but i was thinking a stereo pair somewhere in the house. The idea being that they would be functioning as substitutes for the sound-man's ears - picking up all the direct acoustic information that the audience is hearing while the board feed provides the rest.

Gotcha, just left and right then. I'll just figure out where the sound is the best and set the mics up there. Also, do you think cassette is good enough, or should I be messing with this VCR stuff?
Thanks

Back