Show me your press kit / promo pack

Paco

pH meter
I'm putting together a promo pack to get some gigs around here. I'd like to see some examples of yours...

A CD of sample clips of 2-3 songs (no more than 30 secs of each), plus a brief bio of the band (background, where you've played, styles of music), along with any press clippings and a sample of a set list is really all you need.

Put it in a nice report cover - the kind with pockets inside - and hand them out!

The demo doesn't have to be stellar recording quality, but it helps if it's on the "better" side... it's too easy for club owners to associate shitty-sounding demos to the sound of the band.

David.......

If you're going to post helpful hints, then post helpful hints.... but don't post a fuckin link to something they have to PAY for before they get advice....... you pretty well posted SPAM and it's not permitted here..........

:rolleyes:

David Hooper said:
You wanted press kit help and I posted a solution. Sometimes solutions cost money. It's only $8.

No, he wanted to see some press kits, as he is making his own. Sometimes solutions don't cost anything till someone has something to sell.

A bmp. with your band logo and press photo always helps. Also a press 8x10 glossy press photo as well. A lot of clubs are asking me for online press kits nowadays.

Paco said:
I'm putting together a promo pack to get some gigs around here. I'd like to see some examples of yours...

For what you are trying to use it for keep it simple..

:One page
:5" x 7" B&W Pic ....go to Glamour Shots ( Cheap ) if you look like ass thats how you will be treated
: Name in easy to read big fonts
: Lots of Contact Info include web site ...make sure its happening
: Small Bullshit section......whats so good about your band and how are you going to make me money. Great song list, high energy show, big local following, you play in diapers, you won this contest, you opened for Bla Bla, your related to Neil Diamond, etc etc

Its advertizing.....would you buy it?

things not to do!

sorry - my own band's press kit is taking utterly forever, but i did get some advice from a small record label guy who i got chatting to at a show once

"never tell me you are the best band in the world - i'll soon find out if you're lying!"

i thought it was funny and did make me understand that what most people want is information and not necessarily your feelings about the band.

good luck!

paul d
tollbooth

I was working on a piece about how to write a bio, but I doubt I'll finish it for a while now. I think the main point about press kits is that they are marketing, pure and simple. Your band (or for live gigs, your show) is the product, and you're trying to sell it.

That said, there are a lot of approaches to how to sell it. I've seen people do what pashop suggested and it can be pretty slick if you take your time and design something nice.

When I was touring we usually had a packet that had about 4-6 items in it:
1. cover letter
2. bio
3. 8x10 glossy of the band
4. Endorsement page (i.e. a page full of quotes about the band from other club owners, music critics, well-known musicians or celebrities, etc).

Some venues asked for certain things like lyric sheets, tour itinerary, etc. Keep in mind this was all in the early days of the internet, so we couldn't count on people being online and going to our website for more information. We had to give it all at once. That's why we broke it up into several pages instead of cramming it all on one page. They could read what they wanted and leave the rest.
The key is to remember that every aspect needs to appeal to the people you're trying to reach and communicate what your band is about. A slick glossy pamphlet might turn off the guys who run the local underground venues, but it might work better for some upscale clubs or corporate events. Smiling glamour shots of the band members is probably a bad idea for a hardcore metal band.
Anyway, there are books on the subject that do a better job than me, so I shut up now.

I joined sonic bids and they're pretty good just because of the convience. I hate hard copy press kits. It's just a nuisance. I feel like in this age of the internet, if they can't get on line to pull up my press kit, they might not be smart enough to count out the money to pay me for the gig. I also have a press kit on my site which is FREE for you to look at(shame on you David, trying to make money like that) LOL. Just click the press kit button. What you see there is exactly what was recommended by an industry professional. as far as content is concerned. I forget her name.

Along those lines, I'm having trouble writing a bio. I guess I can't get around the awkwardness of writing about myself, so I was wondering if other people have examples they would be willing to share.

I might also try exploring various other musicians websites to see what i find. Paco, you might be able to solicit promo packs from established musicians as well.

Thanks demensia, Your too kind.

Leavings I have stressed and stressed over this bio thing. I've always thought who cares, just listen to the music. I've done alot of research about what the industry wants in a bio and here's what I came up with. This has been revised, I would appreciate any feed back. There's a bio in my press kit on my website. Go to the press kit bio, thats for the business people. The bio there is modled after what I've learned.

Most Muscians bios I've read are way to long. They like you to keep it short from my research anyway.

I'm sure you've all noticed the other thread, but in case you haven't, I shared my limited wisdom on bio writing here:
http://www.alandmoore.com/ramblings/WriteABio.htm

Personally, I highly recommend going with a physical presskit rather than simply a virtual one. By all means you should have your presskit materials posted online, but if you want to get some business you're going to need something physical to send. Any venue owner or manager out there has got stacks of presskits coming in every week. If I were running a club, I'm going to spend my valuable time checking out material by people who took the time and expense to send a CD and presskit, rather than someone who just spammed me with a URL.

Thanks RC and lyk...those examples are both very helpful. I doubt I'll get anything written before the tour starts back up, but if I do I'll post it for feedback.

Nobody's written this yet that I saw so I'll drop 2 more cents in.

For writing bios, I also had a hard time trying to balance modesty and positivity in my own story so I came up with another idea.

I wrote an objective timeline of my musical journey. I made bullet points with the landmarks in my development as an artist, starting with the day I first picked up a guitar and ending with the last tune I recorded. Within it, if I worked with a teacher or a fellow musician, I would link to their site within my timeline. I even posted old sound clips within my timeline to give people a sense of my development.

Granted, someone trying to book me as an artist might not care where i took lessons when I was 12 or want to hear the song I recorded into a 20 pound dictaphone but some fans might.

anyway, that's my thought.

Back