Should you track with a compressor?

clinton

I'm either mad or both
Hi All
I'd like to hear your opinions about putting a compressor in your signal chain before it reaches your recorder so that you can control the levels going into your preamp better.

I personally dont use a comp this way but sometimes I find it really difficult to get my signal as hot as possible without clipping some parts or losing signal in others. I like to record from start of song to end and then punch any little mistakes in, I feel I can get a better flow and groove this way. But of course with songs that have picking and then strumming for example it becomes really difficult.

What do u guys think?

clinton said:
I find it really difficult to get my signal as hot as possible without clipping some parts or losing signal in others. (snip)

What do u guys think?
You aren't supposed to get signals "hot as possible without clipping" - You're *overdriving* your input chain.

0dBVU is NOT THE SAME as -0dBFS.

I meant that I am trying to get my recorded signal as close to 0 as possible but obviously I can only do that during the loudest parts but then when I pick the level is too low so too much noise comes through.

Why are you trying to get as close to 0 as possible? This is not what you want in the digital domain. You need to read up on something called headroom and dynamic range. Then you will learn that -6 to -12 is better for tracking.

Regarding compression while tracking, for vocals it’s a pretty regular practice to put some very light to medium compression on a track depending on the musical style. Bass guitar also can benefit as well. Those are about the only thing I would compress going in except the occasional acoustic guitar or dobro. Some people compress kicks and snares, not my cup of tea.

Hope that helps. The only time you want things remotely close to zero, by the way, is during the mastering process. Limiting towards -.3 is something you can do for very aggressive music. John knows more about this than I and it’s recommended to leave this to your friendly mastering engineer.

Sorry , I actually meant -6 (that is the the highest my Sonar meter goes to anyways).
Thanks for the advice, Its good to know that you use a comp for this purpose.

I guess it's time to spend some money on a hardware comp (I have soft comps).

One more thing... I live in South Africa and musical equipment is really expensive here. Basically a $199 FMR comp will cost me R2000. R2000 is about 1/3 of my salary (before i pay for expenses) so I gotta look for a cheaper comp.
The FMR would be great but I cant EVEN get it in SA. I can get Joe meek and presonus so i'll go take listen to those.

thanks guys

Hi,
Are my Cool Edit Pro level meters in FS or VU?

PS.....I track at -6db......and according to CEP metering, 0 = clip.....so I try and stay away from that.......does that sound right?

Funny...I used to think that
'Hot without Clipping'
was like
"fuck without Kissing"........... :)
(gees....I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing?)

Regards,
SSpit.

In tracking I usually set it to an average of -18dbfs going in. In any case, IMHO you're better off putting the compressor on after tracking. If you compress during tracking, and don't like it afterwards, then you can't undo the compression, and you'll have to start tracking from scratch.

My tuppence worth anyway...

If you're very experienced with using compression then go for it.

If not then it's probably not very wise, you'll cringe in 6 months or a year when you hear all those wonderful takes ruined by a poorly set up compressor.

As has been said you shouldn't need compression to prevent clipping your converters on the way in, your peaks shouldn't be getting anywhere near the red.

legionserial said:
In tracking I usually set it to an average of -18dbfs going in. In any case, IMHO you're better off putting the compressor on after tracking. If you compress during tracking, and don't like it afterwards, then you can't undo the compression, and you'll have to start tracking from scratch.

My tuppence worth anyway...
And a fine tuppence it is.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
If only you knew what "tuppence" is slang for over here. :eek: :D

it means "two pence", which americans would say "two cents".

anyway, as far as tracking with compression (or eq, effects, etc..) depends on what you are trying to record. if you are trying to record a performance, then definitely track with no compression and add it later during mixing only if necessary. however, if you are trying to record a specific sound or tone, then add compression and whatever else as you record.

I like to track with a compressor if I know I am going to be using one on that track in the mix anyway. The main downside is that it's something else in the chain you have to document if you want to try and rerecord a punch in at a later date and match the same tone.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
If only you knew what "tuppence" is slang for over here. :eek: :D
I thought that was the plastic containers you put leftovers in before refrigerating.

;) :D

Oh, and "should" you track with a compressor? No. There is no reason to say that it should be done. In fact I'd say it's best to learn how to get the tracking right without a compressor first before one learns techniques for getting tracking right with a compressor. You're tracking skills will be much improved for it, IMHO.

"Can" you track with a compressor? Yes, if you know what you are doing and have the confidence in your skills and your gear to get the compression right on the first take. But until one reaches that level of rote, best to leave it for the mixing for the reasons given in the previous fivers-worth of explanations :).

G.

G.

I don't track with comp but that's mainly cuz I'm not very good at it yet. :)

I did actually listen to John and alot of others about NOT tracking so hot and it does make a world of difference with the clarity and sonic space you've got when mixing.
So the way I figure it, if I'm tracking at lower volumes, I don't need compression during tracking. I'll apply it to some things like kick, snare and bass etc. when I'm mixing but at that point, I can undo it.
Can't do that if it's tracked with comp.

and that's my 2c (or tuppence... :D )

Massive Master said:
You've ruined me until I hear some other goofy musical... :mad:
Don't shoot me, John, but you asked for it...

"I am the very model of a modern major general..."

Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it ;) :D

G.

Back