should I use pre amp to record vox

lurek100

hi.
when I record vox I plug the mic's straight to my audio interface input in motu 828 mk3.

do you think that I should use some additional preamp?

I don't know what's in the 828 mk3, but I'm not a fan of the preamps in my 828 mk2.
I never use them now.

There are plenty of other things that I'd sort out first, but a nice preamp upgrade isn't a bad idea in the long run.

I'm hoping he means just the Motu, otherwise I'm not sure what he's doing on a recording site. xD

Well...I'll give him the benefit of doubt....but I wouldn't be surprised if he really thinks preamps are an optional piece of gear when it comes to mics.
And you know....in some ways, it's not even all his fault if he does.

Things have been so dumbed-down and "camouflaged" on the home recording front, that there are a lot of absolutely clueless people out there.....recording.
They don't even know....that they are supposed to know....certain things about audio and recording. It's all become a "black box" process in many ways. Some just don't even care that they don't know.

You have these all-in-one "interfaces" that make it even more murky....and of course the countless plug-ins that you just add to your tracks....and like magic they sound "better".
What's actually going on inside the "black box" has become irrelevent to many....and it's pretty fucking sad on a lot of levels.

No one has get a PhD in recording...but man, at least RTFM and do some basic 101 research before you start making' beats and worrying about what plugs you need to "master".... :facepalm:

*That rant was not directed at anyone in particular.... :)

I'll chime in & offer my opinion primarily because I really like what I get for sound.

A good rule of thumb is to get the best signal coming in that you can, so long as it's a clean signal that is.

So myself, I'd be considered a Baritone/Tenor.

I'm using a DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Compressor/Preamp/De-essor/EQ with both analog & digital outs.

I've had it for about 10 years now & use it with a Neumann TLM 103 mic.
This combination provides really good sound for me, although for about $2000, I would hope so! :p

I do have some respectable preamps on my Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 mixer and my TC Electronics Studio Konnekt 48 interface, but I had the DBX first so that's what I've been using and hence gotten used to.

If it does ever go down, I will try the 2 mentioned above before replacing it, since they have newer technology, but so far, so good.

Really happy with it! :thumbs up:

Back