Should I upgrade my Mic ?

gazukmale

Hi
I currently have a home studio setup and have a AKG 2000b which ive had for about 9 years. Ive only used this Mic for male vocals for myself and only need a mic for male vocals.

Im thinking of upgrading to a better mic and spending a few hundred more between £300 £400 price range

Im just wondering if ther will be a noticable difference in the sound quality for vocals .
Im looking at the Rodes NTK at the moment which is about £360.

Any sugestions or advice?

Thanks
Gareth

I don't know about the rodes, but yes you should get a new mic and send the 2000b to me. ;)

FYI, that's considered a pretty decent mic, and kind of hard to find. If it doesn't work for your voice, or you find something else that's better, then by all means get it if you can. I'm just sayin' don't let the other go, or let it go for dirt cheap. On the other hand, if you do let it go for dirt cheap, give me first dibs.

What kind of preamp are you using? How is your room treated? I'm just wondering if perhaps you're money might be better spent on upgrading something other than your mic. I do understand, though, that after a while, you just want something different.

What kind of music is it? You might want to look at something like a Joe Meek preamp/compressor to change things up.

Lots of love going on for Shure sm7b and sennhieser mk4
which i believe are both in your price bracket. I might add i have neither nor have used neither but i sure would like to.

Back