Should I stop here?

Spazhands

'ere mate
I am recording an 'album' for my band in the next few weeks and am wondering if there is anything more I could do on the mixing side. I have recorded a tester by myself using the same gear I am planning to use to record the band. I think I am somewhere in the ballpark with this mix, it is never going to sound 'polished' as I am limited by the equipment I have. This is a snippet of what I have done: MP3 Player SoundClick
Excuse the bass wandering off at the end! It is a punk band I am in so please keep that in mind when you listen, also on my exaple there is only one guitar and there will be two on the real thing. Cheers from uk ;)

I'd say first off down a bit with a low shelf and explore more of what might be found down/around in the way of meat' and chunky tones?
Then it seem kinda too dry -not in 'it needs 'verb', but maybe some well placed dept cues?

Ok, I see what you are saying. I would have thought the extra guitar we will use would help with the beefyness, also recording the actual bass as opposed to my strat pitched down :rolleyes: Hopefully recording in our new room will help with the general sound also. So with a bit more tweaking and considering the gear is grade f I should get a half decent result??

The guitar tone is also very wonky to my ears, and the drums do not have the 'balls' they need. I would work with the drums and low end of everything, then move forward with guitar eq.

Also, double tracking/panning the guitar will help as well.

I haven't added much comp to the drums, as its not my strong point... would you add comp to the kit as a whole or on the individual tracks.. or both? Also the guitar is recorded through Revalver, but when tracking the band it will be mic'd with an sm57 from a marshall.

Well, sometimes both. It really depends on the tune. For genres such as this, I always send all of the drum (not overheads or cymbals) tracks to a heavily compressed group channel. Parallel compression. Then bring that up under the uncompressed drum tracks. It helps to bring the drums up front where they need to be.

Ah I think I see where you are coming from, so use the individual drums like you would the overheads ie, use them to supplement the overall compressed kit sound? Yep, a recording console into my emu 1820m via adat then into ableton. And mixing in Fl studio, just because i am familiar with it ;) So all comp, eq etc are post tracking and they are going into ableton raw.

Yeah, pretty much.

Ouch, FL seems like not the best to mix with, but that just my experience... Can you send to a group channel with it? If so, I would recommend the 'free download' Density MKII compressor. New York Style preset would be a good start.

That kick drum really needs some balls as well. I could get you some samples to work with if you need later.

I have tried mixing with a few others but it took me so long to learn Fl studio that for the sake of effort I have stuck with it! Yes I'm sure you can I will have a look in a minute. To be fair the raw tracks were not all that great and starting with a better sound from there would benefit me. That would be great yes. Cheers

Always easier to use what you know.... :)

Yeah, I am a bit lazy myself, and have found it much easier to use a kick drum sample (good expensive ones), than to even work to get a good tone live. Snare and toms however, are a different animal. You cant replace them completely. Enhance yes, but the kit needs to sound good/great to start with.

Back