Should I/Shouldn't I: Akai 4000DS Cheap

p_wats

Hey guys,

I'm very excited to have just joined this forum after years of reading the threads. I'm fairly new to analog recording and have been looking to cut my teeth on a decent reel to reel.

Someone in my neighbourhood is offering me an Akai 4000DS for $30, as they have no tape to test it. I've got a couple reels of old non-English folk music that I said I'd take over to test the functions. He also said the spindles seem bent though.

My main question is if this particular unit will benefit my setup (give me a usable analog fix). I read that it it is a 4-track, 2-channel machine, which I assume means I can only use 2 tracks per side of tape.

I've already got a crazy old 2-track Braun TG-1000 that I'm trying to decide if I should keep or not (see thread here), so I'm trying to figure out if the Akai will suit me better (and I could get some cash for the Braun).

Ideally I'd love something like a Fostex R8 (just lost out on one of those...) or any other decent 4/8 track machine, but I'm still learning.

Do you think the $30 is worth it (assuming the heads are in decent shape and the spindles aren't bad?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to soaking up all the knowledge of this community!

Last edited:
Akai wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's the only thing available, you might consider it. The bent spindle would be of some concern, depending on how bad off it/they are. It won't necessarily affect the sound directly, but if it can't wind a smooth pack on playback, it could damage the edges of the tape, and affect the tracks.

For $30, it couldn't be too bad though. You could definitely part it out a bit to make some money off it if you decide you don't want it.;)

The critical thing with the Akai machines is whether it will enter record and playback properly. This is controlled mechanically using a cam shaft made from some horribly brittle metal. If it's broken, the machine will be difficult to repair. If it does work, be gentle with it ;)

The other thing which is less important - but not to be ignored - is the tape speed. The 4000 is a single-motor machine, and the capstan runs at a constant speed for 3.75ips. To switch it to 7.5ips for higher-quality recordings, there is a metal shim which is stuck on top of the capstan. Does the seller have that shim?

Finally, I guess it depends what you want to use the machine for and what you're expecting. The 4000 was a mass-produced consumer machine, cheap and cheerful. It was not designed for studio recordings, though - as long as it works okay and you're not expecting the world from it, it's a nice enough machine.
I suspect that if my Dad hadn't had one of these when I was a kid I probably wouldn't have considered the analogue route...

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Basically, I'm just trying to get away from the computer a bit when it comes to demoing and recording some stuff. In that regard I've already got a Fostex cassette 4-track with a ton of tapes that I can use, as well as this Braun 2-track reel to reel that I've been learning how to use.

I'm thinking maybe I should skip the 4000DS and put that $30 towards something more useful in my setup (I'm looking at a Fostex M-80 right now for $175 with unopened Quantegy 456 tapes).

Buy it & sell me the cam if it's good!

Take the advice to buy it & part it out! I'm looking for a good play cam to buy for my MKI! (not brittle, cracked, broken, etc) :)

Back