Should i seel my firepod?

xmortumx

Should i sell my firepod?

Well i bought a firepod like four months ago but dont like it much.... the pres dont have much gain. The headphone jack doesnt seem to work, its like mono not stereo. Do you guys think a Motu interface would work for me better?

Last edited:
it really depends on what you're into.
the firepod does 96k, has 8 inputs, and the pres IMO are identical in sound to the MOTU in around the same price range...
if you're recording home demos, or even for bands, the firepod is definitely a sought after piece of gear.

I've used the firepod and never had a problem with the gain, so it could be either you have a defective unit or you need some new mics

Well i bought a firepod like four months ago but dont like it much.... the pres dont have much gain. The headphone jack doesnt seem to work, its like mono not stereo. Do you guys think a Motu interface would work for me better?

You shouldn't sell it you should pay it forward and give it to someone, like I don't know maybe ME! Ya thats it, give it to me.

hmmmmm...im looking for a rock solid chunk of kit and judging by your sarckie comments...it must be indestructible!!... where do i sign :)

Well i don't know what is up with the headphone jack... i plug in the headphones and you can only hear it from like the left side of the headphone.

Do any of you guys have a firepod in your rack? What other rack equipment do you guys have accompanied by the firepod like compressors, pres, eq's, ect.

Yea im doing like projects for demos nothing "professional"

One of the rooms Im at a lot has firepods. I used them for a few albums.

Latency is high, CPU use is high and stability is low compared to the same buffer size on a motu.

Soundwise they're fine unless you really have to turn them up for a quiet source

QC seems to be iffy, I've never seen a firepod last more than a few months under moderately heavy use

Well i don't know what is up with the headphone jack... i plug in the headphones and you can only hear it from like the left side of the headphone.

Do any of you guys have a firepod in your rack? What other rack equipment do you guys have accompanied by the firepod like compressors, pres, eq's, ect.

Yea im doing like projects for demos nothing "professional"

is it possibly your headphones? have you tried them on anything else?
i dont ever remember having a problem listening in stereo through my headphones

The headphones work perfectly. i tried 3 different headphones so it must be the firepod.

Well i wanted to know what other rack gear i should ad such as pres and compressors and maybe like an Eq.

SO far i have a presonus comp 16.
-Sm 57
-Es 57
-okatavas Mc-012
-Digital reference drum mics

Im looking forward to expand but i dont know what else i should add.

I'm with Pipeline...

Not trying to be negative, but since the thread title asks about selling the Firepod...I had two of them - sold them and bought a used Fireface 800 for a little more money.

I'll never look back...the Firepods were buggy, very inconsistent with stability when using multiple units, and their drivers were completely immature (compared with RME's drivers). I really, really tried to work with them...for almost two years with one unit and for 6 months with multiple units. The fireface is rock solid right out of the box with much lower latencies and phenomenally written drivers (and better converters).

That being said, I liked the X-Max pres on the Firepod...nice and clean. The interface/converters/drivers were the reasons I needed to look elsewhere.

Jay

I've had a firepod for a few years now. I bought it off my old guitarist, who had his for nearly a year before realizing all the pres were broken. Luckily we knew someone at the guitar center he bought it from (he bought it as a floor model) and they got him a brand new one. So yes, there might be some problems with it, but you should be able to get it fixed, especially if it's close to being new.

As for quality, I'd say anything else that's going to be a noticeable upgrade in quality is going to cost quite a bit more. I've gotten pretty good results from the firepod, maybe not professional, but certainly worthy of an unsigned local band. Head over to myspace.com/3831studios and listen to the first track, it was recorded with two firepods, and a bunch of cheap mics (nothing over 200 bucks).

yea... Cool. Ill check it out. Yeah might be broken but other than that all the pres work and i never had driver issues.

Do you have a 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch conversion plug on the headphone cable? I know it's stupid but sometimes people put a mono adapter plug instead of a stereo one, hence the sound on only one side. If that's not it then there's something wrong with the headphone output.

I haven't had any problems with my Firepod and I have had it for almost two years and it has been on almost non-stop. But it just sits on my desk, I don't move it around. The pre's are good for what they are but I wanted something better so I bought a Presonus Eureka channel strip and use that as a mono pre for one channel. I usually only record one channel at a time so it doesn't bother me.

If you go on the presonus forums a lot of people get angry at Presonus' support because supposedly their customer service isn't that great. But I think if something is wrong with your Firepod they have a flat rate of $50 to fix it, you have to contact them about that. Also from what I read the newest driver's for the FP10 can cause a major headache and I don't recommend installing them because they update the firmware and it can make your Firepod completely dead.

Back