Should I Leave a Margin of Decibels For Mastering?

Magnawolf

I'm mastering in Ozone and by default there's a .3 db margin on the maximizer/limiter. It also says in the manual to make sure there's a .3 db margin. I was wondering if you think it's necessary. It doesn't clip when I take the margin away but the manual says that maybe it will clip on other sound systems. Do you guys master with a margin?

On a true brick-wall limiter, especially if it's being constantly pummeled, I don't think .3dB is nearly enough - But that's just me...

Yes, leave a margin. It is completely possible for two consecutive samples to describe a wave which actually peaks between them, and at a level higher than either. When the DAC tries to recreate the wave, it may not be able to output that higher peak level, and distort. It's called "inter-sample over", and should be avoided.

Also, some converters for one reason or another just cant deal with 0dbfs .

Also, the mp3 conversion process (at least with some codecs) can cause overs which weren't in the .wav.

I usually limit my "mastered" tracks to .6dbfs

Yes, leave a margin. Listeners have a volume control and can turn it up by a dB if they need to.
There are several reasons for this, including players that have a sharp filter at 20kHz that has some ripple at the filter corner frequency. It could cause the player to clip if it has no margin beyond full scale in the analogue circuitry.

Think there is a definative response to this guys, don't be cowardly...Do what you think sounds right.... Boom, it's mixing AND WE'VE ALL HEARD THE SAME POP SLOP. You have to give the mastering engineer something to work with...

Last edited:
Golden rule is NEVER hit the top.
Beyond that, the absolute level doesn't hugely matter, much more important is the dynamic range of the mix - so don't go too mad on compression of the master buss.
I'd much rather receive tracks without final compression/limiting because you then have much more room to work with eq and transient shaping if required, before adjusting the dynamic range at the end.
If the mix is squashed then it gives the mastering engineer very little space to work in. Make it easy for them and it'll sound so much better, they'll be able to bring out more of "the final 5%" of quality that way - let them worry about general loudness and final levels, that's their job.
There are some obvious exceptions to this, for example if you want the mix to 'pump' with the kick or bass, then you do need to compress the master buss reasonably heavy to get that effect.

That's an awesome explanation. Rep+ But also, build a rapport with your masterers, they are very important to your mixes, but oft overlooked. But, the fact remains they can make OR break you. That voodoo they do, but actually we benefit from a second set of ears.

Are you really worried about 3/10 od a db? Its not going to make any difference in the perceived volume, so leave it there.

Back